Frequently Asked Questions

Application Process

TESTS:  NO GMAT Required for 2020 applications

TOEFL Questions:

Program Questions

Tuition and Financial Aid

Career Services

Visiting and Contact Information


Application Process


What are the prerequisites for the MSA program? back to top

Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or in Business from a recognized four-year U.S. university or equivalent institution, have earned at least a 3.0 grade-point-average (on a 4 point scale) for the last 90 graded quarter credits or 60 graded semester credits, and be proficient in English.

Furthermore, applicants must have completed, or expect to have completed by the time they start the Master’s program, upper level undergraduate Accounting courses in the following areas:

Intermediate Accounting
Cost Accounting
Federal Income Taxation
Accounting Information Systems

Are the prerequisites required? back to top

Yes, the prerequisites are required.

What do I need to complete and submit for my application to the MSA program? back to top

Application information is here: and if an international applicant, also here: Required application materials are: current resume, statement of purpose, a minimum of TWO letters of recommendation (you may submit up to three recommendations), transcripts, and your GMAT or GRE test score. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. You may submit the completed online application prior to taking the GMAT or GRE exam, but official review occurs only after the application is complete.

I do not have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or have not taken any/very few undergraduate accounting courses. Is there a way for me to complete these prerequisites? back to top

Yes, we recommend our applicants to complete a Certificate in Accounting program at the University of Washington Bothell: Applications are accepted until the program reaches capacity, and classes begin each September. The program completes in 3 quarters. Students will receive course registration information upon acceptance into the certificate program. If you have questions about the application process, please call 425-352-5113.

If the above program has reached capacity or the UW Bothell certificate application deadline has passed, prerequisite courses may also be found at local community colleges or If the above program has reached capacity or the UW Bothell certificate application deadline has passed, prerequisite courses may also be found at local community colleges or any certificate programs that meet either State or Uniform CPA educational requirements, including at UW in Seattle.

Does my foreign degree qualify me to apply to your MSA program? back to top

Applicants must have at least a baccalaureate degree equivalent to a regionally accredited U.S. institution to apply for admission. The official assessment of academic preparation of international student applicants will be done by the UW Graduate School after you have applied to our program.

When are the deadlines for application? back to top

Priority Application Deadline: February 1
International Application Deadline: March 31
Application Deadline: May 1

International candidates have been encouraged to apply by March 31 to allow additional time to complete application materials and secure immigration documentation.

Applications will be accepted after the May 1 deadline, provided that the program has not exceeded enrollment limitations.

Candidates are encouraged to apply early. Applications will be reviewed when complete, but admissions decisions may not occur until after the application deadline.

How are students selected for admission? back to top

In addition to having completed the necessary prerequisite coursework, admission decisions will be based on multiple criteria, such as, the candidate’s overall and accounting GPAs, personal interviews and, unless specifically waived by the admissions committee, performance on the GMAT exam.

Is an interview required? back to top

Yes, an interview is required for admission to the program. Once an applicant has submitted all the required materials, the application will be reviewed and selected applicants will be invited to meet with the MSA Admissions Committee. Applicants will have an opportunity to raise any questions they may have about the program with the interviewers.

Can I send my transcripts prior to applying? back to top

You do not need to send official transcripts to UW Bothell at the time of application. You will have to upload an unofficial transcript into your application. However, if admitted, the UW Graduate School will request an official transcript.


Test Questions: GMAT or GRE


Are GMAT scores required? back to top

GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) or GRE (Graduate Records Examination) scores are required for admission. Applicants may contact Vicki Tolbert at or 425-352-3277 to discuss exam waiver consideration.

If you are applying, you may submit your online application any time before or after taking the exam.

- If you have not taken the GMAT or GRE, please schedule an appointment by visiting here:
   -- GMAT:
   -- GRE:
- If you have recent GMAT scores, please contact the GMAT testing service and request that they be sent to UW Bothell.
- If you have recent GRE scores, please order an additional score report from GRE and have it sent to UW Bothell.
- If your exam scores are older than 5 years, please contact Vicki Tolbert at
- If you take an exam more than once, your highest submitted score will be used for the application review.

Will you accept a GRE in place of a GMAT? back to top

Yes, we will accept GRE scores. If your exam scores are older than 5 years, please contact Vicki Tolbert at The GRE/GMAT Conversion table is used to make the scores comparable.

Is there a limit on how many times I can take the GMAT/GRE? back to top

No, you may take the GMAT/GRE as many times as you wish and the MSA program will consider your highest score. If you plan to retake the GMAT/GRE, please keep in mind that they require 30 days between test dates.

Can I apply even though I have not yet taken the GMAT/GRE? back to top

Yes, you do not need to submit GMAT/GRE scores at the same time of application. We encourage applicants to submit their applications as soon as possible, even if they have not taken their GMAT/GRE. Collecting letters of recommendation, writing essays and completing the application takes time. You should not wait to complete your GMAT/GRE before starting on these tasks. However, please note that we will need your GMAT/GRE scores and a completed application package before we begin the application review. For timing concerns close to the deadline, please contact the admissions advisor.

What if I do not do well on the GMAT/GRE? Should I retake the GMAT/GRE? back to top

Please contact Vicki Tolbert, our graduate admissions advisor, at or 425-352-3277, to discuss the best way for you to proceed if you are concerned about your test score.

What is the required GMAT / GRE score? back to top

The MSA program does not have specific requirements for the GMAT score, since the score is considered as only one part of the application (the application is reviewed as a whole). Generally speaking, GMAT scores between the 500-800 range is usually safer since the application process is competitive.

Can I waive the GMAT / GRE exam requirement? back to top

To be eligible to apply for a GMAT or GRE waiver, applicants must meet the minimum Graduate School and MSA admission requirements. Waivers are not guaranteed and must be approved by our MSA admissions committee.

The minimum requirements for a GMAT waiver consideration are:
an undergraduate Accounting GPA of 3.4 or higher,or a graduate degree with 3.0 GPA (& 3.4 GPA in Accounting or cumulative), or a professional license (i.e., CPA)


A cumulative undergraduate GPA or 3.2 or higher AND a GPA of 3.4 or higher in all undergraduate accounting coursework.

Where do I take the GMAT/GRE? back to top

There are many testing centers, but the closest local GMAT testing centers are in Northgate and Renton. Please visit the official GMAT site to locate a test center near you:

For GRE, please visit:

Do I have to submit an official English proficiency test? back to top

English language proficiency is required for graduate study at the University of Washington. Therefore, every applicant whose native language is not English, must demonstrate English proficiency. No waivers of this requirement may be given. The ways in which proficiency can be demonstrated can be found here:

Will you accept my TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test? back to top

Yes, we accept the TOEFL test.

Will you accept my IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test? back to top

No. The UW is phasing out usage of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). IELTS scores with a test session date after May 31, 2017 will not be accepted. Official IELTS scores from prior to May 31, 2017 can still be electronically reported.

What is the required score for the TOEFL? back to top

Applicants will need to receive a recommended score of 92 or higher in order to satisfy the UW Graduate School English language proficiency requirement. For more information about the required score, please visit:


Program Questions


When and where are classes held? back to top

Evening and some weekend classes are offered in Bellevue and Bothell to accommodate busy work schedules. MSA courses are typically taught in Bothell and Bellevue from 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. during autumn, winter, spring and summer quarters each academic year.

How many classes do I take per quarter? back to top

Students may attend full-time or part-time. For full-time status, students must complete three courses per quarter. Our program is designed to allow working professionals the convenience of maintaining their careers and family life while going to school.

What is the length of time it will take to complete the MSA degree program? back to top

Students who choose to be full-time students will complete the program in one year. Students may also choose to be part-time students, in which the duration of completion will vary.

How many total credits are in the MSA degree? back to top

There are 45 total credits: 25 credits of required coursework (seven classes) and 20 credits of elective coursework (five classes).

Where can I find the MSA curriculum? back to top

You can find the MSA curriculum here:

Where can I find the MSA course descriptions and time schedules? back to top

You can find the course descriptions and time schedules online at

Does the MSA degree at UW Bothell offer Certified Public Accountant (CPA) placement? back to top

Yes, the MSA degree will satisfy the academic credit hours required for the CPA exam.

Are you accredited? back to top

Yes. The UW Bothell School of Business is accredited by the prestigious Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. AACSB-accredited schools have better programs, better faculty, better students with higher overall GPAs, more international students, more employers that recruit from them, and graduates that receive better salaries. Less than 5% of the world’s 13,000 business programs have earned AACSB Accreditation.

Why is the AACSB Accreditation important? back to top

AACSB Accreditation represents the highest standard of achievement for business schools worldwide. Less than 5% of the world's 13,000 business programs have earned AACSB Accreditation. AACSB-accredited schools produce graduates that are highly skilled and more desirable to employers than other non-accredited schools. AACSB-accredited schools have the highest quality faculty, relevant and challenging curriculum, and provide educational and career opportunities that are not found at other business schools.


Tuition and Financial Aid


How much is tuition? back to top

Tuition for the MSA program is determined by the UW Board of Regents annually. Tuition may be found here:

Is financial aid available? back to top

Yes, financial aid is available. The MSA program at UW Bothell is fee-based. To learn more about fee-based degrees offered at the University of Washington, please visit: Please note that state of Washington and UW Employee tuition exemption programs do not apply.

Students in all fee-based programs, including this degree, are ineligible for the state tuition exemption program, institutional tuition waivers, or the Undergraduate/Graduate University Grant programs, including the Husky Promise program. Some students, depending on financial status, may be eligible for Department of Education Loans and are encouraged to start the free application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) as early as possible. Please visit for more information.

Are scholarships available? back to top

Yes, graduate scholarships and grant opportunities are generally more competitive than undergraduate scholarship opportunities and graduate students are encouraged to widely research for opportunities. Please visit our scholarship page (just scroll down) to learn more:

How do I qualify as being a Washington state resident? back to top

To qualify as a legal Washington state resident, you must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, immigrant or refugee and have physically resided in the state of Washington for purposes other than educational for the last 12 consecutive months. Holders of any other types of visas will not qualify. For further information, please see the UW Student Guide on Understanding Washington State Residency.

As a veteran, where can I find information regarding the VA Tuition Reduction Program? back to top

If you are an active or reserve veteran who has served in active federal service in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or international waters, you may be eligible for the VA Tuition Reduction Program.

For this benefit, please contact the Veteran Services Coordinator, Rosa Lundborg, at or 425-352-5307 with any questions. Applications must be turned in no later than the last day of the current quarter enrolled to be considered valid.


Career Services


What career services are available? back to top

At the campus level, UW Bothell Career Services provides internship listings, career fairs, electronic job postings, and career information and services to assist students and alumni in making connections between academic programs, career options and long-range goals. Also available are workshops and counseling to help students develop job search skills.

Is there a difference in the diploma received from UW Bothell and other UW campuses? back to top

All diplomas from the University of Washington are the same.


Visiting and Contact Information


Where do I find directions to the UW Bothell campus? back to top

Directions to the UW Bothell campus can be found online at

Where do I find directions to the Eastside Leadership Center in Bellevue? back to top

Directions to the Eastside Leadership Center in Bellevue can be found online at

How can I learn more about the MSA program? back to top

Please join us for an upcoming Information Session by registering at

Email us at or contact:

Vicki Tolbert, Admissions Advisor, for admission advising, applications and program information.

Phone: 425-352-5277

As a veteran, where I can I learn more about UW resources for student veterans? back to top

UW Bothell Veterans Services is committed to assisting our veterans as they transition out of the military into academic life. This department serves as your liaison to the Department of Veterans Affairs so that you may receive your educational entitlements in addition to providing you with guidance and resources to foster success. You can contact the Veteran Services Coordinator, Rosa Lundborg, at or at 425-352-5307. You can also visit the UW Bothell Veterans Services website at: