MS Accounting Prerequisites:
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized four-year U.S. University or equivalent institution. If your degree was NOT an accounting degree, complete the prerequisites as noted below.
- Applicants must expect to have completed (by the time they start the Master’s program), upper level (300 and 400 level) undergraduate Accounting courses in the following areas:
- Intermediate Accounting*
- Cost Accounting
- Federal Income Taxation
- Accounting Information Systems
*NOTE: The Intermediate Accounting I, II and III series may be offered in 2 semester classes or 3 quarter classes depending on the structure of your college or university.
Applicants may complete prerequisites in the following ways:
- Enroll in the 9-10 month Certificate in Accounting at UW Bothell. Classes begin each September, and the program completes in 3 quarters. If the above link does not answer your questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enroll in in either the 9-10 month or 9-week summer Certificate In Accounting at UW Seattle. The UW Seattle Certificate meets in the daytime. Applying requires completion of a Bachelor’s degree and academic credits earned in an introductory financial accounting course AND an introductory managerial accounting course. Click above link for details.
- Enroll in any other certificate in accounting program that meets either state CPA or Uniform CPA educational requirements.
- Take prerequisite courses at local community colleges.
Please note that in addition to the upper level accounting courses above, the CPA exam has additional requirements. Anyone planning to work in a different state should always check with that state’s CPA exam requirements.