This option is designed for experienced Registered Nurses with a non-nursing bachelor’s degree who have completed a two year nursing degree. It’s a faster, more direct way to acquire a master’s degree without first completing the BSN; this option does not confer the BSN degree. To be eligible for admissions, applicants must demonstrate competency Nursing Leadership and Population Health. Competency is demonstrated one of two ways:
- Completion of one or both of the prerequisites with a 3.0 or higher in each course or;
- Through demonstrated experience.
These courses are offered througout the year at multiple locations (Bothell campus and our two satellite locations). View the schedule to locate a course time that works with your schedule and contact the graduate advisor for seat availabilty. The coursework must be completed prior to commencing fieldwork or prior to the starting the program. Course(s) must be completed with a 3.0 grade or higher.
If you believe your have the prerequisite skills through work experience or equivalent education, you can petition to waive one or both of the prerequisites. Submit your petition(s) as early as possible; ideally at the same time you are applying to the program.
- Complete the petition form.
- Answer the questions below for each competency your are petitioning.
- Provide a supporting letter for each competency you are petitioning (ideally from a graduate prepared nurse who can attest to your experience).
- Submit your nursing resume.
- Submit petition materials to the graduate adviser, Celinda Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. Supporting letters may be sent directly to the adviser from the recommenders.
Reach out the graduate advisor at any time for planning and assistance.
Leadership and Management petition
Answer each of the following questions in no more than five pages, double spaced, using 12 font and submit a supporting letter from a professional nursing colleague describing your leadership contribution to your organization or profession. Your petition should demonstrate sufficient analysis, reflection, knowledge and experience in nurse leadership and management. Equivalent course: Team Leadership and Care Coordination.
- Describe how you have applied leadership concepts and skills to leading teams in the provision of care delivery and for the promotion of a positive workplace culture.
- Describe how you have been accountable for delegating to and supervising other team members.
- Give an example of working with an interprofessional team.
- Provide examples of using coaching, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills to promote effective teams.
- Describe a time when you have used data to facilitate coordination of care across the continuum of settings.
Community Health petition
Answer each of the following questions in no more than five pages, double spaced, using 12 font and submit a supporting letter from a professional nursing colleague describing your contribution and or experience related population-based practice. Your petition should demonstrate sufficient analysis, reflection, knowledge and experience in community health nursing. Equivalent course: Population-based Health in Community Practice. View BNURS 424 student posters for an idea ccommunity based learning and projects.
- Describe basic principles of public health and population-based practice.
- Link your application of practice and experience to theory.
- Describe with examples social determinants of health to one or more diverse populations within a community.
- Provide an example of when you analyzed individuals, families, other small groups, and communities as interacting components of larger social, cultural, political, economic, ecological, and health care processes and systems; how did it shape your perspective?
- Provide an example of when you collaborated with a community partner and/or nursing colleague, and interdisciplinary professionals to assess, develop, coordinate, implement, and evaluate interventions for health concerns within specific communities.
- Provide an example of when you explored (and for what use) the impact of local, state, national and global policies on the health of a specific community.
In addition to your description of your professional experience, expertise and education, your petition will be strengthened by the use of clear and specific examples. The following list should be of use to you as you prepare your petition.
- Submit your petition and program application early
- Course descriptions of academic, continuing education, or in service education courses
- Clinical examples of research utilization or implementation
- Health education activities
- Community projects
- Professional certification, when the exam or requirements for such certification includes knowledge of relevant content or skills
- Committee leadership
- Volunteer experience
- Leadership in professional organizations
Updated February 2022