Applying with a degree other than a bachelor's degree in nursing
We recognize that experienced registered nurses holding a bachelor degree in a major other than nursing may have gained sufficient experience and knowledge in care coordination and leadership, and/or community health nursing through academic, professional and personal experiences outside of a bachelor’s program in nursing to apply to the MN program with a degree in a major other than nursing.
This opton requires you to submit a petition if you believe you have the experience, analysis, and acquired the knowledge below through your profressional experience. Another option is to complete the two courses below as prerequisites to the program if you do not plan on petitioning or if your petition is denied. Complete the petition or inquire about the prerequisites before you apply to the program.
Complete courses in leadership and/or in community health nursing or petition to have the courses waived.
Connect with Master of Nursing Academic adviser, Celinda Smith at 425-352-3530 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Options to complete the requirement
First option: Complete the course(s) with a grade of 3.0 prior to the start of the program or prior to the start of your fieldwork which commences fall quarter of your second year. These courses are available through our RN-to-BSN program. VIew the Schedule of Course Offerings.
Second option: Submit a written petition
- Complete the petition form
- Submit the form and supporting materials (answers to the questions and supporting letter(s) to the graduate program adviser, Celinda Smith at email@example.com.
Petition for Team Leadership and Care Coordination
Answer each of the following five questions in no more than five pages, double spaced, using 12 font and submit a supporting letter from a professional nursing colleague describing your leadership contribution to your organization or profession.
- Describe how you have applied leadership concepts and skills to leading teams in the provision of care delivery and for the promotion of a positive workplace culture.
- Describe how you have been accountable for delegating to and supervising other team members.
- Give an example of working with an interprofessional team.
- Provide examples of using coaching, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills to promote effective teams.
- Describe a time when you have used data to facilitate coordination of care across the continuum of settings.
Population health petition
Answer each of the following five questions in no more than five pages, double spaced, using 12 font and submit a supporting letter from a professional nursing colleague describing your contribution and or experience related population-based practice.
- Describe basic principles of public health and population-based practice.
- Describe with examples social determinants of health to one or more diverse populations within a community.
- Provide an example of when you analyzed individuals, families, other small groups, and communities as interacting components of larger social, cultural, political, economic, ecological, and health care processes and systems; how did it shape your perspective?
- Provide an example of when you collaborated with a community partner and/or nursing colleague, and interdisciplinary professionals to assess, develop, coordinate, implement, and evaluate interventions for health concerns within specific communities.
- Provide an example of when you explored (and for what use) the impact of local, state, national and global policies on the health of a specific community.
In addition to your description of your professional experience, expertise and education, your petition will be strengthened by the use of clear and specific examples. The following list should be of use to you as you prepare your petition.
- Course descriptions of academic, continuing education, or inservice education courses
- Clinical examples of research utilization or implementation
- Health education activities
- Community projects
- Professional certification, when the exam or requirements for such certification includes knowledge of relevant content or skills
- Committee leadership
- Volunteer experience
- Leadership in professional organizations