Master of Nursing

International applicants

International application to the Master of Nursing


International applicants must have a visa status that allows academic study at the University of Washington. This include students who hold U.S. visas such as F-1 Student Visa, J-1 Exchange Student , H-1B Visa, any dependent visas or any other non-immigrant classifications. It is important to note that you are not an international applicant if you hold a U.S. green card or immigrant status. International applicants residing in the U.S. should follow the same application requirements, procedures and deadlines as those residing outside the U.S.

Learn more

You are encouraged to review the information and refer your questions about the F1 student visa at the UW Bothell Center for International Education website. If you have further immigration questions about your F1 student visa, contact your primary International Student Advisor at the Center for International Education.

Application and material requirements

International applicants are required to provide additional materials and information. Due to the extra time needed for processing, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply before the April 1 application deadline. In addition to the Master of Nursing admission requirements and material, international applicants must meet the following requirements per the Graduate School

Demonstrate proficiency in English 

This is required for every applicant whose native language is not English. Review the options to meet this requirement.

Proof of financial ability and the UW I-20; only for students on F1 visa

 Per U.S. immigration law, admitted students who require an F1 student visa must demonstrate sufficient financial resources for the first year of study. Review how to meet this requirement.

Submit academic documents in English for transcript review and Degree Conferral 

  • If the original language of the academic record and diploma is not English, a certified English translation must accompany the original document. A school administrative officer of the institution from which the degree was received must certify official copies of credentials or the applicant may use an Evaluation Services. See a list of transcript evaluation services available in the U.S. 
  • An unofficial transcript may be utilized for the purpose of the application review. If admitted, the Graduate School will require an official copy for review (if a hardcopy is reviewed in-person, it will be returned to the applicant once reviewed). 

Starting graduate school successfully

  • If you have never studied in the U.S. before and will begin your program in Fall Quarter, you may consider studying in the UW Graduate Preparation Program before you start at UW Bothell.
  • If you will be studying on a F1 visa, please inform the Center for International Education if you plan to do participate in the preparation program, as it will impact your I-20 process. Upon admission, the CIE office will help you on your next steps and successful transition to the U.S and UW Bothell.


Master of Nursing Advisor



Celinda Smith

International Student Advisor

Krista Garg