How to take classes as a GNM student
Are you interested in attending graduate classes before completing the formal process for Autumn admissions to the degree program?
Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM) enrollment is beneficial if you are interested in professional development through specific classes or are beginning to work toward pursuing a graduate degree, but are ready to begin in winter, spring or summer quarters.
GNM status allows qualified students to earn graduate credits in an area of interest. A total of 12 credits can apply toward a graduate degree. It is important to speak to an advisor to confirm how specific credits may satisfy future degree requirements.
GNM status is not available to international students on F-1 visas. Also, acceptance as a GNM student does not imply nor does it confer priority for later admission to the Graduate School for pursuit of a degree.
Ready to find out more? Contact our staff at UWBNHS@uw.edu about space-available admission in winter, spring, or summer GNM status. Start the conversation at least one month before you wish to start a class in order to meet all admission and registration requirements.
Application deadlines for GNM status
||GNM Application Deadline
- Graduation from an approved baccalaureate program
- A 3.0 grade point average in the last 90 credits
- Written goal statement referencing a plan for graduate study
- Active and unencumbered Washington State RN license
- Permission of GNM coordinator
- Availability of space in selected course
- National criminal background check with acceptable results
Petitions will be considered for applicants not meeting the above criteria and should include information to support the capability for graduate study, such as recent graded coursework, GRE scores, resume, and letters of reference.
1. Complete the UW Graduate School application noting that you are applying to Nursing at the Bothell Campus, GNM status, and for the given quarter.
2. Upload copies of college transcripts to the application site. The Graduate School will later require an official transcript for formal matriculated admission to be mailed to their address:
University of Washington Graduate Enrollment Management Svcs
G-1, Communications Building
Seattle, WA 98195
3. Goal Statement. Include information about the courses you are interested in taking and how long you plan to continue in this status.
4. GNM application, goal statement, transcript copies and fee are collected online. Upon admission, one copy of an official transcript mailed directly to
GNM Nursing Admissions
University of Washington Bothell
18115 Campus Way NE, Box 358532
Bothell, WA 98011 - 8246
Notification, registration and requirements
Applicants will be notified of the admissions decision by the UW Bothell Nursing Department. In order to continue in a GNM status, students must maintain the standard minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0. Failure to do so for two consecutive quarters will result in an automatic transfer to a non-matriculated status. To regain GNM status you will have to apply again.
Since registration is done on a space available basis all Bothell Nursing GNM students will work with the Graduate program advisor to register for class. Registration will take place during the third registration period.