Apply to the UW Graduate School
The Master of Education program admits students every quarter. To be admitted to the Master of Education program at the University of Washington Bothell, applicants must simultaneously be admitted to the Graduate School of the University of Washington. It is very important to submit application documents by the deadlines listed in the box to the right.
Minumum UW Admission Requirements
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. or its equivalent from a foreign institution
- 3.0 GPA in the last 90 quarter credits or 60 semester credits of graded upper-division coursework
- Be proficient in English: Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency. The ways in which proficiency can be demonstrated are outlined in Memo 8: Graduate School English Language Proficiency Requirements.
How to Apply
1. Application & Paid Fee
Complete the application to the UW Graduate School. Be sure to select "Education-Bothell Campus" from the "select a graduate program" drop down menu. The application fee is $85 payable by credit or debit card. All applications must be completed online.
2. Academic Transcripts
Scanned or electronic versions of all of your college and university transcripts (except those from University of Washington institutions) must be uploaded as part of the application.
If admitted to the M.Ed. program, new students will be required to submit official transcript(s) reflecting your undergraduate degree completion to UWB School of Educational Studies and UW Graduate School in Seattle. Instructions will be included in your letter of admission.
3. Admission Essay
All applicants should answer the following questions. Essays should be approximately 4-5 pages, 1200 words, double spaced. This can be uploaded as a Word, PDF, or RTF document.
- Explain your idea of what a professional educator does.
- What leadership have you exercised at any level that increased the educational equity for children?
- What do you expect to contribute to the profession as an educator? What will you need to learn to facilitate that contribution?
4. A Current Resume
This can be uploaded as a Word, PDF, or RTF document.
5. Two Recommendations
Applicants should have 2 letters of recommendations. Recommendations should be from either a colleague, administrator, or community member. All recommendations are submitted electronically as part of the application process. Once a recommender has been designated in the application, recommenders will automatically be sent an email from the UW Graduate School with instructions on how to submit their letter of recommendation.