Elementary Education Teacher Certification Post-Baccalaureate Requirements
UW Bothell's Elementary Education Teacher Certification Post-Baccalaureate operates on a cohort model. Students are accepted once per year to begin coursework in Spring quarter and will take courses together throughout the program. Classes are held during the day, Monday-Friday.
School-Embedded Teaching Methods Coursework
A hallmark of our program is our school-embedded methods coursework.
UW Bothell teacher candidate working with an elementary school student on a math lesson as part of their Mathematics methods coursework.
School-embedded courses are university classes taught on-site at local elementary schools. These hands-on courses provide Elementary Education students with direct experience and contact with elementary school students. Elementary Education students not only learn about teaching, instruction, and student learning, but have the opportunity to practice lessons and see learning in action.
Sample Schedule by Quarter
17 credits - Foundations Courses
6 credits - Theory to Practice Courses
40 credits - Teaching Methods & Student Teaching
- B EDUC 406 Introduction to Field Placement - held late August through September (2 credits)
- B EDUC 408 Knowing, Teaching, and Assessing in Multicultural Education & Social Studies (5 credits)
- B EDUC 409 Knowing, Teaching, and Assessing in Reading, Writing, & Communication I (3 credits)
- B EDUC 410 Knowing, Teaching, and Assessing in Reading, Writing, & Communication II (4 credits)
- B EDUC 418 Knowing, Teaching, and Assessing in Intermediate Level Mathematics II (4 credits)
- B EDUC 419 Knowing, Teaching, and Assessing in Mathematics I (3 credits)
- B EDUC 421 Knowing, Teaching, and Assessing in Earth, Physical, and Life Sciences (4 credits)
- B EDUC 423 Knowing, Teaching, and Assessing in Health, Fitness & Issues of Abuse (3 credits)
- B EDUC 435 Student Teaching - Autumn Quarter: Monday through Friday in school placement for full teacher-contracted hours; methods classes and student teaching held on alternating weeks (2 credits)
- B EDUC 435 Student Teaching - Monday through Friday in school placement for full teacher-contracted hours (10 credits)
Course Substitions & Petitions
To be recommended for elementary teacher certification in Washington state, students must also complete these requirements:
- Pass the NES I and II Elementary Education exams - Attempted prior to student teaching and must be passed for certification
- Complete and submit a Professional Growth Plan
- Pass the edTPA assessment - Submitted in Winter Quarter of Elementary Education Cohort
Students will receive support and guidance on all certification requirements from academic advisors, field placement coordinators, and field instructors.