This guide provides a short introduction to Husky OnNet, University of Washington’s VPN tool, powered by f5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager. For more information, please visit the IT Connect page below.
Husky OnNet Information
Table of Contents
About Husky OnNet
Many UW and UW Bothell resources such as the UWB Fileservers, UW-provided U: Drives, the Application Licensing server, etc., can be accessed off-campus by using the Husky OnNet VPN service. Husky OnNet provides a secure connection to the UW networks. Husky OnNet should be installed by default on UW Bothell-owned laptops. See instructions for university-owned and personal computers.
UWB owned computers: If Husky OnNet is not installed on your computer please visit the request form below and request Husky OnNet to be installed.
UWB Software Request form
Personal computers: If you would like to access the UWB fileserver from off-campus with your personal computer, Husky OnNet must be installed from the links on the ITConnect page. Installation instructions are also found on the page.
Clients for Other Devices: f5 BIG-IP Edge clients are available for a number of devices (e.g., Androids, tablets and other devices) in appropriate app stores. UW-IT cannot answer questions about these applications, however, users who can successfully install and use them without help are welcome to do so and are bound by the Terms and Conditions for use of this software.
Using Husky OnNet
Once BIG-IP Edge Client has been installed, you may connect to it with your personal NetID. Instructions for Windows and MacOS are below.
- Open BIG-IP Edge Client by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type f5 or BIG-IP Edge Client and then in the list of results, click on the program to open.
- The VPN client may run an auto-update on startup. This is normal and the program will open when the update is complete. Click Connect.
- Once open, the program will prompt you for your personal NetID credentials in a second window.
- After you have successfully authenticated and the connection is complete, the client will minimize to your taskbar.
- If you would like to disconnect the VPN, right-click on the f5 icon in your taskbar and click on Disconnect.
Note: By default, the connection length for Husky OnNet is set to three days. At the end of this time period, you will be automatically disconnected from the VPN. The VPN will continue to run in the background, but can be manually closed by selecting Exit from the right-click menu.
To find the f5 BIG-IP Edge Client app, you can either
- Open Spotlight search by pressing ⌘+Space, and search for "edge client" OR
- Open the Applications folder and double-click on the f5 BIG-IP Edge Client app.
Click on the Connect button.
f5 will run an automatic update. Enter your local admin username and password. Click OK.
When the update is finished, you will be prompted for your NetID credentials. Enter information and click Connect.
After a few seconds, you will get connected to Husky OnNet.
Note: By default, the connection length for Husky OnNet is set to three days. At the end of this time period, you will be automatically disconnected from the VPN. The VPN will continue to run in the background, but can be manually closed by selecting Disconnect on the app. To close the app completely, click on Quit from the context menu.
Still Need Help?
If you need additional assistance, please contact UW Information Technologies.
Personal Computers - Downloading, installing or connecting
UWB Computers - Connecting
Call UW-IT: 206.221.5000 (also for emergencies)
Email UW-IT: email@example.com
Submit a question using a Web form: Send a question to UW-IT
Self-help information on the Web: IT Connect
Check the status of your existing requests at My Requests
Last updated 02/23/2017