It is your responsibility to understand and comply with the terms of your immigration status during your stay in the United States. A violation of the immigration regulations could jeopardize your student status. You should always consult with the Center for International Education if you have any questions or concerns before taking action.

Tips on How to Stay in Status

We encourage students to use the helpful F1 Visa Immigration Guide to review the important immigration rules that they must obey during their studies in the United States. In general, students must remember to:

  • Keep your immigration documents valid and with current information at all times (including information on your I-20, passport, and F-1 visa).
  • Report a change to your U.S. address within 10 days of your move to the Center for International Education by sending an email to

  • Maintain a full credit load and enroll full-time for 3 consecutive quarters before taking a vacation quarter.

  • Do not engage in unlawful employment.

  • Obey U.S. laws and the regulations governing your F-1 student status. 

How to Invite Your Family & Friends to the U.S.

As the person inviting your family & friends to visit you in the U.S., you will need to provide them support documents for their Tourist Visa application. We encourage you to use this helpful handout in collect the appropriate documents. The Center for International Education does not provide an invitation letter. The UW Bothell Registrars Office can provide you with an official letter confirming your anticipated graduation.


Did You Know?

Seventy percent of first-year students are from diverse backgrounds