Center for International Education


Full Course of Study

You must pursue a full course of study each quarter to maintain lawful status. A "full course of study" is 12 or more credits per quarter for undergraduates, and 10 or more credits per quarter for graduate students. 

In your final quarter you may take as few credits as required to complete your degree as long as you register for at least one credit and receive authorization for a reduced course load from the Center for International Education in advance. An online class cannot be the only class on your final quarter schedule.

Online & Hybrid Courses

Online: Only one online course may count towards your minimum credit amount. Also, an online course cannot be the only class during your final quarter. 

Hybrid: If the majority of the hybrid course is online, then this course would be considered an online course and you must follow the rules about online courses (as stated above). If the majority of the hybrid course is physically in-class, then it is not considered an online course. 

Reduced Course Load

You may enroll part-time due to valid academic/medical reasons (if it meets requirements by immigration) during a quarter if you obtain a Reduced Course Load authorization from the Center for International Education. The RCL must be received and approved within the first 30-days of the quarter you wish to apply the RCL. You must discuss with an advisor to determine if you are eligible for the benefit.

Do not register for fewer than the required number of credits or withdraw from a course without first receiving permission from the Center for International Education. 

Vacation Quarter

You may take a vacation quarter and remain in the U.S. if you have completed three full-time consecutive quarters and are eligible and intend to register for the quarter following the vacation. We recommend that you take summer as your annual vacation due to limited course offerings. You cannot take vacation in your final quarter.

A student who arrives in the U.S. for the first time and begins their study at UW Bothell in winter or spring quarter may take their first summer as a vacation quarter. However, please confirm your eligibility to do so with your international student advisor.

Academic Deficiency

You must maintain “good” academic standing while a student in the United States. Meet your Professor, Program Advisor and/or CIE if you are having difficulty in your courses. It is better to receive a grade of “F” in a class than to drop the class and fall below full-time status.

Withdrawal from Courses

To cancel all your courses in the middle of a quarter, you must complete an Official Withdrawal form through the Registrars Office (Husky Hall Room 1130), and meet with CIE. Once your withdrawal is approved, you must depart the U.S. within 15 days to maintain status, except for authorized medical reduced course load.

Did You Know?

Nine out of 10 of UW Bothell's 18,000 alumni live and work in the state of Washington.