After OPT

What happens after my OPT or STEM OPT ends? 

If you successfully complete your OPT or STEM OPT period, you receive a 60-day grace period. The grace period begins the day after the end date on your EAD card.

You must take one of the following actions during your grace period:

  1. Depart the United States before your grace period ends.
  2. If you have received admission to a new degree program, you will need to complete all required paperwork and transfer your I-20 to to your new school.
  3. If you have received admissions to a new degree program at UWB, you will need to talk with ISS so that we can update your I-20 before your grace period ends. You will be required to show current financial documents that show funds to support your first year of study in your new program at UWB.  
  4. Change to another type of non-immigration/immigration status to remain lawfully in the United States.