IAS Student Holds

BIS 300 Hold

BIS 300 Interdisciplinary Inquiry is a required first quarter course for students newly admitted to majors in the School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences. IAS students who did not register for BIS 300 in their first quarter will receive a hold preventing registration for the future term. Students who did not complete or pass BIS 300 will also receive a BIS 300 Hold. All students receiving BIS 300 Holds will receive specific instructions via email from IAS Academic Advisor describing how to lift the hold.

Academic Probation Hold

IAS students who fall below Good Academic Standing will receive an Academic Probation Hold that prevents course registration in a future term. To lift the hold, students must meet with their Academic Advisor to discuss University of Washington Academic Probation and Low Scholarship policies. Advisors will also share information about campus resources available for students who may be experiencing academic or personal struggles. 

165-Credit Hold

Students who complete 165 credits and have NOT filed a graduation application will receive a hold on their registration by the Office of the Registrar. To lift this hold, students should schedule an appointment with their IAS Academic Advisor to review an academic plan and submit the graduation application. The Registrar's office will release the hold once the graduation application is received and processed.

210-Credit Hold

The University’s satisfactory progress policy requires students to complete their undergraduate degree programs within 30 credits beyond the minimum required for the degree. Since most degrees require 180 credits, students generally must complete their programs by the time they earn 210 credits. 

Undergraduates who have completed over 210 credits will be notified by the Office of the Registrar that a block is being placed on their registration due to lack of satisfactory progress. Students receiving satisfactory progress registration blocks should immediately schedule an appointment with their IAS Academic Advisor to file a graduation application or to initiate a satisfactory progress appeal.