UW Bothell Global Scholars
A new initiative of the School of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences
What does it mean to be a global citizen or have a global perspective? How do issues that affect your local community influence the rest of the world? And how does the rest of the world influence your local community? How can you ethically learn and serve in a community that is not your own? How can you gain an immersive global experience that is integrated with your UWB education? If these questions interest you, apply to become a Global Scholar today!
What is the Global Scholars Program?
The Global Scholars program brings together UWB students from diverse backgrounds to explore the questions of diversity, difference and identity as central to all global engagements. It is a year-long transformational global learning program comprised of two main components:
- ongoing cohort-based critical reflection, guidance and mentorship which will occur in an online classroom as well as on campus;
- an immersive internship (international or US-based) or study abroad experience to take place in summer 2019.
The Global Scholars program is a partnership between UW Bothell and Omprakash, a Seattle-based global nonprofit dedicated to facilitating relationships, dialogue and learning between social change agents around the world.
Completion of the Global Scholars program offers evidence and recognition of your commitment, achievements and experiences to employers and graduate schools.
Who is eligible and how much does it cost?
All UWB students are eligible to apply. Participation in the program is free of cost. Global Scholars who are eligible for Pell or WA state need based grants will receive a scholarship of $1,000-$3,000 to help cover the cost of their chosen global experience. Additional scholarships may also be available. You do not have to leave the country to be a Global Scholar. Preference will be given to students who identify as a member of a group traditionally underrepresented in college.
How does it work?
- Winter 2019: Attend three workshops to support your planning and application for either a US-based or international internship or study abroad experience in the summer of 2019. Begin thinking about the ethical dimensions of international work and study.
- Spring 2019: Enroll in a 3-credit hybrid course focused on preparation for your upcoming summer experience and a deepening of learning regarding global engagement.
- Summer 2019: Participate in an internship (US-based or international) or study abroad program. Receive course credits for your summer experience. Maintain connections with other Global Scholars and mentors from UWB and Omprakash through an online platform.
- Fall 2019: Complete your Global Scholars experience through a 5-credit seminar. Reflect upon your experiences together, craft a digital portfolio and showcase your global engagements to friends, family, future employers, graduate schools, and others.
The total number of credits, spread out over one year, will range from 8 to 23. Credits earned can fulfill IAS degree requirements or electives in other majors.
What support will I receive?
As a Global Scholars participant, you will receive personalized mentorship in order to identify the specific opportunities that are most relevant to your goals. These can include internships with either local or international organizations, or study abroad opportunities, including UW faculty led programs.
Global Scholars receive individualized support throughout their entire study abroad or internship experience! Mentors and staff will help students:
- Research appropriate opportunities to pursue during the summer
- Apply to study abroad, and simplify the process
- Connect directly with organizations (international and US-based) looking for student interns
- Find scholarships and understand available financial aid options
- Order a passport and important travel documents, if necessary
- Arrange flight reservations at a discounted student rate, if necessary
Global Scholars mentors and staff will also facilitate leadership and professional development activities to help students return to UWB with a strong understanding of how to transfer their new global skills to campus organizations, internship programs, scholarship applications, and potential employers!
As alumni of Global Scholars, students will have the opportunity to serve as program Ambassadors to help educate other UW students about the benefits of study abroad and internships.
How do I apply?
Apply now to be part of the first cohort of UWB Global Scholars! The priority application deadline is December 3, 2018. After this, applications will continue to be accepted on a space-available basis.
The online application is hosted on the Omprakash website and will ask you to complete a profile, write a brief statement about why you want to be part of the program, and answer a few short-response questions.
If you encounter technical difficulties or have questions about the Omprakash online platform, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.