Students planning to study abroad during any upcoming academic term are invited to apply. The application typically opens 3-4 weeks before the deadline.
The UW Bothell Study Abroad Scholarship helps to offset travel expenses required to participate in a study abroad program. Applicants must be current UW Bothell students enrolled full-time, residents of Washington State, have a minimum 2.75 GPA, and commit to promoting study abroad opportunities in the Bothell community upon their return as a Study Abroad Ambassador. Awards range from $500 to $2,000.
Above: Kendall Wiggins in Machu Picchu, Peru. Read about her experiences studying and traveling in South America on the Voices from Around the World blog.
Students will be selected for the UW Bothell Study Abroad Scholarship based on the following criteria:
- Full-time enrollment in a UW Bothell degree program, including the quarter following study abroad.
- Washington State residency.
- Acceptance into an academically relevant, credit-earning study abroad program. (Acceptance is not required at the time of application).
- Minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- Track record of contribution to UW Bothell campus community.
- Commitment to promoting study abroad and other international enrichment opportunities in the Bothell community.
- Preference will be given to first time applicants.
Applications are submitted online via Catalyst. You will be asked to provide:
- Basic personal information
- Copy of most recent transcript
- Brief description of study abroad program, including location, program dates, program type, and relevance to current course of study and future goals (up to 300 words).
- Study abroad program budget, including estimated airfare expenses.
- Essay describing how you plan to promote study abroad and other international enrichment opportunities in the Bothell community (up to 800 words).
- One letter of recommendation from a UW Bothell faculty or staff member who can attest to your contribution to the UW Bothell community, and your ambassadorial qualities. Letters, in hard or electronic copy, should be submitted to:
Natalia Dyba, Director of Global Initiatives
18115 Campus Way NE, Box 358555
Bothell, WA 98011
Complete your application and ensure submission of all supporting materials by one of the following dates:
- Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at noon
- Thursday, February 21, 2019 at midnight
- Thursday, April 18, 2019 at midnight
- Thursday, June 20, 2019 at midnight
Students planning to study abroad during any upcoming academic term are invited to apply. Late applications will not be accepted.
Notification and Disbursement
Award recipients will be notified by e-mail within four to six weeks of the deadline and their names may be announced publicly via UW Bothell media and publications. Funds will be credited to the recipients' UWB tuition statement in the quarter following their study abroad program, via the Office of Financial Aid.
Meet the Ambassadors here.