Global Initiatives is responsible for developing and implementing an internationalization strategy for UW Bothell.
- Build on-campus support for study abroad, especially addressing the needs of underrepresented students.
- Expand local opportunities for global learning, including incorporating collaborative online international learning (COIL) into courses across the curriculum and promoting globally-connected community engagement.
- Lead and support campus-wide efforts to integrate students from diverse cultural backgrounds, especially focusing on the needs of international students.
- Manage international partnerships.
- Define global learning outcomes and develop assessment tools.
- Pursue grant funding and external revenue for internationalization projects.
Global Initiatives is part of the Teaching and Learning Center that reports to the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs. Located in the Student Success Center, the unit is staffed by a director and part-time student assistants, with administrative support from the TLC Marketing Manager and Program Coordinator. A part-time, project-based International Collaborations Facilitator supports the COIL Fellows program.
Global Initiatives collaborates closely with the Offices of Global Affairs at UW Seattle and UW Tacoma.
Natalia Dyba, Director of Global Initiatives
As the Director of Global Initiatives, Natalia supports the growth of international efforts across campus, including education abroad, institutional partnerships, curricular integration, and opportunities for international involvement locally. Prior to coming to UW Bothell, she worked for the Institute of International Education on developing and implementing an innovative scholarship program for a new university in Saudi Arabia. In 2007, she was a Fulbright Student Scholar at the National University of Mar del Plata in Argentina. Natalia has earned a Master of Arts degree in Central European Studies from the Jagiellonian University in Krakow, Poland, and a Bachelor of Arts in Cognitive Science, Psychology and Policy Studies from Rice University in Houston, TX. She is a board member of the Greater Puget Sound Chapter of the Fulbright Association and was a 2013-2014 Association of International Education Administrators Presidential Fellow.
Anna Jansen, Marketing Manager of the Teaching and Learning Center
Anna supports the Global Initiatives team with study abroad program implementation and design, marketing projects and event management. Anna is co-leading the School of Business study abroad program, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in Thailand and Cambodia in Early Fall 2019. The study-tour will explore the concepts, practices and impacts of CSR programs in Southeast Asia. Prior to coming to UW Bothell, she worked for the Tri-City Regional Chamber of Commerce coordinating large-scale city-wide events to promote chamber membership and local business development. Anna earned a Bachelor of Business Administration with a Marketing Concentration from Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA.