Financial Aid

Scholarship Services & Opportunties

List of various on campus and off campus services available to students. Including additional funding opportunities.


Undergraduate Scholarship Office

Local and national award scholarship information listings are updated regularly. For first-time scholarship applicants, local and regional scholarships are a great place to begin. National award scholarships provide a highly competitive opportunity for students who excel academically to demonstrate their abilities to take initiative in leadership roles and community service and to integrate their education to benefit their fields of study and communities.

Free Scholarship Search Services

The following free scholarship search services identify scholarships you may qualify for:

Professors and Departmental Advisors

Your professors and departmental advisors may know of merit- based awards for undergraduates in your field of study. Professional groups sometimes allocate a portion of membership dues to sponsor scholarships for undergraduates; your professors and/or advisers may be involved in such a group. Check on bulletin boards in you department, too. Posters and announcements for awards given to undergraduates in specific academic disciplines are often mailed directly to eligible departments.

UW Libraries

The UW Libraries contain many scholarship books and guides in the reference area on the ground floor of Suzzallo Library. To find what's available, go to any on-line catalog at:

UW Bothell/Cascadia CC Library

The UWB/CCC Library offers a selected bibligraphy of grants and funding resources. Titles to resources housed in the library, as well as online resources are available at

UW Libraries Grants and Funding Information Service (GFIS)

Information services designed to help University of Washington faculty and staff, and UW graduate students identify sources of funding.

Graduate Fellowship Office

Financial Support Resources for Graduate Students, Graduate Fellowship Office (Box 351240, 543-7152).

University Bookstore

The UBS (University Way Store) carries a variety of scholarship books and guides. These are located downstairs in the textbook department. Speak with someone at the Technical Reference Desk (also located in the textbook department) for additional assistance.

Service Organizations in Your Hometown

Neighborhood service organizations such as the Kiwanis Club, Jaycees, Lions Club, Etc. often give awards to local students who are in college. Start you search in the white pages of your hometown phone book or contact the Chamber of Commerce to learn how to get in touch with these groups.


Funding Opportunities


Athletic Scholarships

Athletic Scholarships are offered by the University's Department of Intercollegiate Athletics (Graves Building, Box 354070, 543-0611).

Departmental Scholarships

Departmental Scholarships are sometimes available for students pursuing specific majors. Check directly with your department's administrative office for information. Departments

Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund

The Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund has been established to provide scholarship support for financially needy dependents of those killed or permanently disabled as the result the September 11 terrorist attacks. If you believe you may be eligible for these funds, contact CSFA online, phone 877-862-0136 or e-mail .

Private Loan Programs

Private, non-need based loan programs are available for some students who do not qualify for need-based assistance. Information can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office, UW1-175, (425) 352-5326.

Teaching and Research Assistantships

Teaching and Research Assistantships for graduate students are offered directly by the department. Check with your department's administrative office for information. Graduate Financial Aid Information

Student Employment Service

The UW Student Employment Service has part-time and temporary job and internship listings available to all UW students.

Bureau of Indian Affairs and Tribal Grants

Bureau of Indian Affairs and Tribal Grants for Native Americans are offered through local tribe offices and/or BIA agencies.


Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC). Interested students should write the appropriate department at the University mail boxes listed below: Aerospace Studies (Air Force), 353830, (206) 543-2360; Naval Science, 353840, (206) 543-0170; Military Science (Army), 353820, (206) 543-9010.