*Important Travel Update*
Do not book travel “package deals” for University business starting January 1, 2018.
What are package deals? “Package Deals” are travel deals sold by services such as Expedia and Travelocity, which bundle services such as airfare, hotel and rental car for one combined price.
Why do I need to stop purchasing package deals? Due to new IRS documentation requirements starting January 1, 2018, the University cannot reimburse the traveler if receipts do not display each type of expense separately as itemized amounts. (Package deals typically do not list itemized travel expenses.)
Is there an alternative? Yes: Booking a “package deal” through Christopherson Business Travel (CBT) is acceptable and will be reimbursed, because CBT provides compliant itemized amounts for each expense. Alternatively, purchase each service separately so receipts are itemized.
The Fiscal and Audit Services staff are here to help guide and facilitate the process of travel purchases and reimbursements for faculty, staff, students and visitors. FAS complies with the UW Travel Office Policies.
Review our Travel Tip Guides for helpful information on what you need to know before, during and after travel:
Booking Travel - Christopherson Business Travel (CBT)
Christopherson Business Travel (CBT) is the UW Preferred Travel Agency. See the CBT tip sheet for information on the benefits and how to use CBT for booking airfare, lodging and rental cars. Begin using CBT by creating a profile: CBT Profile.
Pre-Travel Approval Form
Out-of-state travel is defined as travel outside of Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. All out-of-state travel, including registration, MUST be pre-approved by the appropriate parties using the Pre-Travel Approval Form
The Pre-Travel Approval Form must be completed prior to making any travel arrangements. The form is completed by the traveler or administrative support person in the department, and forwarded to the appropriate supervisor and budget authority for approval. However, grant funded travel does not need advance written approval if the travel was specifically budgeted for in the grant proposal, and the travel was approved by the sponsor.
Include the Pre-Travel Approval Form when submitting a reimbursement request.
UW Bothell has a Central Travel Account (CTA) card managed by Fiscal and Audit Services and is used to make airfare purchases for UW Bothell travelers who travel on UW business. Staff may request airfare be purchased through the CTA process, if no personal time is included. Travelers also have the option to purchase their own airfare and claim reimbursement.
When booking on the CTA account, requests must be submitted at least one business day in advance.
More information available at: Central Travel Account (CTA) Tips.
For CTA Inquires Contact:
Sharyn Singh - Phone: 425-352-3640
Cynthia Yee - Phone: 425-352-5247
Information for combining personal time with a UW business trip
If personal travel is added to the business trip, airfare cannot be paid by the CTA account.
A comparison airfare is required if any personal time is added to a trip.
Review guidelines when combining personal time/travel with UW business trip.
Please see University of Washington, Lodging for information and requirements on lodging reimbursements.
CTA Account - Lodging:
Lodging can be charged to the CTA and is limited for the following situations:
- UW Students.
- Non-UW travelers
- Five or more UW travelers attending a conference/group event in the U.S. or British Columbia, Canada where the UW is reserving and paying for the block of rooms and prior written approval has been obtained.
- Requests must be submitted at least one business day in advance
- Restricted to daily per diem
- Only room and tax should be charged (no room service, accessory charges, etc).
Please see more information on CTA lodging.
- AirBnB is considered commercial lodging facilities. AirBnB is only reimbursed to the traveler who paid the AirBnB directly, even when the AirBnB facility is shared among multiple travelers.
SeaTac Airport Parking
UW Employees should utilize the corporate discounts at WallyPark and MasterPark. Click here for more information.
Click here for a link to WallyPark
UW Employees should use the Enterprise and National Car Rental Contract when renting cars. Click here for more information.
Your department administrative support person can pay the registration fee on the departmental Procurement VISA card (ProCard) or you may pay yourself and claim reimbursement.
Maintain the conference brochure/agenda to submit with the reimbursement request.
Local Mileage and Parking
Check with your department or school for reimbursement procedures.
Please go to University of Washington- Travel for instructions on reimbursements.
Check with your department or school for reimbursement procedures. All travel related expenses are reimbursed in Ariba under Travel (ER).
If your school/department is part of Shared Services, here is the form to claim travel reimbursement:
- When attending a conference, the conference brochure/agenda showing when the conference started and ended, which meals were provided (if claiming meal reimbursement) and location of conference (if claiming lodging) must be provided as a PDF. A link to the brochure is not acceptable.
- If personal time is added to a trip, a comparison airfare must be provided (if claiming airfare reimbursement). In addition, all expenses (meals, parking, lodging, etc.) will only be reimbursed for the business portion of the trip.
- Transportation receipts must include a business purpose, addresses to and from, and proof of payment (showing method of payment).
- Foreign currency exchange must include the actual receipt AND either a credit card statement (foreign transaction fees are non-reimbursable) OR an Oanda printout (use the date of purchase or last date of trip).
Please see more information at Travel Reimbursement.
See our Training website for a list of upcoming trainings.
Sharyn Singh and Cynthia Yee are the FAS Travel Team
- FAS Travel Team: UWBTrav@uw.edu
- Sharyn Singh, Fiscal Specialist, Fiscal and Audit Services: email@example.com, 425-352-3640
- Cynthia Yee, Fiscal Specialist, Fiscal and Audit Services: firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-352-5247