Poll Everywhere for students
Poll Everywhere is a Classroom Response System (CRS) similar to clickers, except that you use your own smart device (smart phone, tablet or laptop) to participate in class polls.
- Students are already registered in the Poll Everywhere system, so it is required that you use your UW email address (NetID@uw.edu) and UW Single-Sign On. Student login instructions.
- Make sure that your Canvas default email address is your UW email by checking/editing your Canvas user profile.
Good news! All smart cell phones, tablets (Android and iOS) and laptops (PC or Mac) will work as Poll Everywhere devices. All you need to have is an active internet connection, on the device, to vote in polls.
What if I don't own a device?
Purchase a pay-as-you-go smart phone
If you do not own your own device, you can purchase an inexpensive pay-as-you-go smart phone at a local retailer or online. Access Poll Everywhere using the device web browser with a WiFi connection, not the mobile app. Using this method, you will avoid using using your data plan.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION - If the pay-as-you-go phones are activated, then you will also have the option to use SMS text to participate, but data charges will apply.
Check out a laptop from the Library
You can check out a Windows laptop from the UW Bothell Library. These laptops are available on first come, first serve basis, and can be checked out for up to 72 hours. For more information, visit the Library Laptops Lib Guide.
Getting started with Poll Everywhere
Connect to your UW Poll Everywhere account and login instructions
Download the Poll Everywhere App
The iOS app requires version 7.0 or later, while the Android app requires version 4.4 and up. You can download the app for your mobile platform by clicking on the provided icons:
Responding to polls
Students and participants can respond to polls via web link, mobile app or text message for certain poll types.
When using a smart phone or tablet, we recommend using the Poll Everywhere mobile app for responding to Poll Everywhere polls (except for pay-as you-go smart devices).
Instructions for responding to a poll question using either a web browser/app or via text are included on each poll when displayed.
- You must first log in to Poll Everywhere with your UW email whether you are responding via a web browser or the Poll Everywhere Mobile App.
- If you are using the Poll Everywhere mobile app, enter the username your instructor provided. The “PollEv.com” part is already added (examples: biology001 or johnsmith123).
- Up to three of the most recent presentations you have joined will be saved and can be selected from the the list.
- If you are using a web browser, enter the address displayed in your browser address bar (other examples: https://pollev.com/biology001 or https://pollev.com/johnsmith123).
IMPORTANT: If you are required to log in to participate in a poll, the text message option may not work. You should only participate via web browser at PollEv.com or the mobile app after you login using your UW account.
Showing as "Unregistered" in the instructor's report
- Students are already registered in the Poll Everywhere system, so it is required that you use your UW email address to login.
- Make sure that your Canvas default email address is your UW email by editing your Canvas user profile.
Using a web browser
- Clear your browser cache
- Restart the browser
- Try a different browser (if using Internet Explorer, try Firefox, etc.)
Using the mobile app
- Make sure the app is up-to-date
- Restart the app
- Uninstall and reinstall the app
If you continue having issues, go to the Open Learning Lab located in UW2-140. Help is available Monday 10AM - 4PM, Tuesday 10AM - 2PM - Wednesday 10 AM - 4PM.