As part of the Master of Nursing BNURS 505 course and program completion requirements, you will create an eportfolio which is a compilation of your academic accomplishments, course artifacts, and fieldwork. The structure of your eportfolio should be completed prior to the start of winter quarter year one. Upon completion of the program, you may download your eportfolio for subsequent use.
MN ePortfolios are built using the UW G Suite Google Sites, meet the UW standards of privacy and are FERPA compliant.
Step one: Set up UW G Suite
if you haven't already set up your UW G Suite.
Step two: Create a folder in Google Drive and set folder permissions
All materials that you insert into your eportfolio must come from this Google Drive folder (not a desktop folder). In order for the viewers to see the documents you embed in your portfolio, the documents must both be in the folder and have the folder permissions set correctly.
Your artifacts will be protected behind the UW login and as long as you put all of your artifacts inside this folder, you only need to set the sharing permissions once.
- Open Google Drive and create a new folder by selecting the New button
- From the New menu, select Folder
- Name your Google Drive folder as follows: BNURS505_LastName_FirstName_Artifacts. Select the Create button.
- Set the permissions on your folder as: “Anyone with a link can view”.
- To do this, right-click on folder, (Control + click on Mac) and select the Share option.
- Select Advanced.
- In the Sharing settings window, go to the "Who has access" section and select Change...
- In the Link sharing window, select On - Anyone at UW with the link option. This permission will allow your instructors and advisors to see the artifacts you add your eportfolio from this folder. Select the Save button to close the Link sharing window, then the Done button to close the Sharing settings window.
- In the new BNURS505 artifacts folder, create a subfolder called, "Program forms" to house forms you will insert into the eportfolio as your progress thorough the program. See Step two items 1 to 3 to create this subfolder.
Step three: Identify how to access eportfolio forms
Forms for the eportfolio are located in Google Drive in the folder MN eportfolio forms. You will need to create copies and save them in your BNURS505 artifacts subfolder. To create copies of Google Docs follow these steps:
- Double-click to open the form, "Crosswalk of Advanced Nursing Professional Standards/Competencies"
- Select the File menu, then the option Make a copy
- A confirmation message will show up saying that the copy was created. Go to your Google Drive main folder by selecting My Drive from the menu on the left
- Locate the Copy of Crosswalk of Advanced Nursing Professional Standards/Competencies you just created. Using your mouse cursor, drag the file into your BNURS 505 artifacts folder. Alternatively, you can right-click on the document, select Move and browse to put the file in the artifact folder.
- Once saved in your artifacts folder, right-click on the file and select Rename. Replace "Copy of" with your "FirstName LastName". Click OK to save changes.
Step four: Create, name and share your eportfolio
- In your browser, navigate to sites.google.com/new and login with your UW account. If redirected to the Classic Google Sites, click on the New Google Sites link on the left side of the page.
- Click on the "+" (plus sign) button at the bottom right of the page to create a new eportfolio,
- Name your eportfolio as follows, "MN ePortfolio: LastName, FirstName". Click on Your page title and enter:
Master of Nursing ePortfolio
Select the Publish button on the upper right of the page and then on the MANAGE link.
In the "Share with others" window, change the Published setting to “Specific people can view when published”.
In the "Share with others" window, under “Invite people”, enter the share the graduate program adviser email and keep editing permission. Select the Send button to notify the person the eportfolio has been shared with them.
Back in the "Share with others" window, select Done to go back to the Publish window and select Publish.
Once you know your winter BNURS 505 professor and scholarly committee members, and other upcoming courses, you will also invite them and give them editing permission.
Step five: Build your eportfolio structure
Your eportfolio consists of six pages, some of which will have subpages. The pages will be a combination of course artifacts, text, media and documents. Structure your ePortfolio and build in the required elements of each page (and subpages) as outlined in the model structure using the table as a general reference.
Be creative! Develop it with the idea that you “take it with you” when you graduate as a graduate prepared nurse. For example, consider adding footer or additional content and or pages that could house a gallery of photos or other media (see sample), documenting projects and experiences, including showcasing projects from your fieldwork or courses. Needs some inspiration? Take a look at sample eportfolio of a current student-please use discretion as you view the content.
Step six: How to insert text, artifacts, and more
To insert artifacts and text go to the Insert tab on the right of the page and select Text box to insert a writing area. Use the From Drive option and items from your Google Drive artifacts folder created earlier
Once “From Drive” opens, make sure you are in “list view”. You can tell because instead of folder tiles you'll be able to see the last modified date of each item. Click on the icon above the folder list to switch between tile and list view.
Watch this short video overview to create New Google Sites for more ideas and basic help.
(from the G Suite Learning Center)