Policies and Procedures

Grade Appeal


The School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences upholds values that include institutional responsiveness and social justice, diversity, and equity.  The following procedures aim to aid students and faculty in resolving concerns about fair assessment quickly and directly while promoting a productive and positive learning environment.


Graduate students enrolled in Cultural Studies, Policy Studies, or Creative Writing & Poetics programs should follow the procedure outlined below if they wish to dispute their grade for any BCULST, BPOLST, or BCWRIT class.

  1. Graduate students should first seek resolution to the grade dispute in face-to-face conversation with their instructor.
  2. If your instructor is not responsive to your request to meet, please contact the Graduate Programs Manager/Adviser at 425-352-3406.
  3. If the face-to-face meeting with your instructor does not result in resolution, you may appeal the grade by writing to the director of your program, copying the instructor and the IAS Dean, within ten days of the meeting. Students are invited to meet with their program director before writing the appeal, but after meeting with their instructor. 
  4. Students may consult with the Graduate Programs Manager/Adviser at any time to discuss the steps of the university Grade Appeal Procedure and how to move forward toward resolution.  Please call 425-352-3406 to make an appointment.

Background and Authorization

In accordance with The University Handbook/ UW Policy Directory (Chp 110.2), UW Bothell outlines the following procedures for the Written Appeal of Grade Error:

A student who believes he or she has been improperly graded first discusses the matter with the instructor. If the student is not satisfied with the instructor's explanation, the student may submit a written appeal to the dean or director of the student's academic unit (or their designee) with a copy of the appeal also to the instructor. The dean or director consults with the instructor to ensure that the evaluation of the student's performance has not been arbitrary or capricious. Should the dean or director believe the instructor's conduct to be arbitrary or capricious, and the instructor declines to revise the grade, the dean or director, with the approval of the voting members of his or her faculty, shall appoint an appropriate member, or members, of the faculty of that department, to evaluate the performance of the student and assign a grade. The Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs should be informed of this action.

Once a student submits a written appeal, this document, and all subsequent actions on this appeal, are recorded in written form for deposit in a department or college file.