Registration ‘Best Practices’
- Know your registration date and register early. It’s worth getting up early on the day of registration to ensure you get the schedule that you want.
- Speak with your advisor before your registration date. This ensures that the classes you will be registering for will meet your degree requirements
CSS 142 & 143 registration tips
- Registration for CSS 142 and CSS 143 requires co-enrollment in a CSSSKL section. Please be sure to register for BOTH sections at the SAME TIME.
Depending on your status, you might lack the ability to register on your own. Please read carefully below. If you have questions, you are welcome to see the CSS Advisor in DISC-352.
Students who are admitted to CSS may experience registration restrictions through a variety of circumstances, including:
- not having the course prerequisite(s)/co-requisite(s), which can include grade minimums
In most cases, prerequisites are binding. Students who wish to request an exception should see an adviser.
- attempting to repeat a core class
Students must submit a Request to Repeat form to the STEM Undergraduate Academic Services Office.
In some cases, instructors keep their own waiting lists, but the CSS Advisor maintains waiting lists for all core classes and many elective classes with the Add Code Request Form. If you are not sure which one applies, you can ask the CSS Advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org). It is important to note that your placement on a waiting list does not guarantee a spot in a class, nor does it trump the ability of eligible students to register if a space opens up. You should continue to monitor enrollment on your own with Seat Availability Notifications.
Non-Majors and CSSE or IT Minors
CSS courses are typically open to CSS majors only; if you would like to enroll in a CSS course but are not a major, please fill out an Add Code Request Form online.
The deadline for add code requests each quarter is the first day of Period II registration. Students will be notified regarding their request shortly after Period II registration has begun. All requests submitted after the deadline will be processed the week before classes begin. Requests submitted after the quarter has begun will not be considered.
Enrollment in CSS courses is dependent upon space availability. Priority for enrollment in CSS courses will be given to first to CSS majors and MIS students and then to CSSE or IT minors.