Inviting Family & Friends to the U.S.

Family members (other than your spouse and children) and friends wishing to visit the U.S. may need to apply for a tourist visa to visit the U.S. The U.S. State Department / Bureau of Consular Affairs has additional information about applying for a tourist visa – .  In addition, each consulate has their own processes and required documents, so make sure to check the specific consulate’s website for additional information.

The Center for International Education and UW Bothell do not provide students invitation letters. As the person in the U.S. who wants to invite your family and friends to the U.S., you should be the one to write the invitation letter to support their visa application.

The following are documents that you can collect and give to your family members/friends. They should bring these documents with them to their visa appointment.

Invitation letter from you:

As the person in the U.S. inviting your family members/friends to the U.S, you need to write a letter to the U.S. Consulate inviting them to visit you in the U.S. Your invitation letter should include the following: your name, your passport ID#, your reason for living in the US, the names of your family members/friends who wish to visit you, their passport ID#, the purpose and approximate dates of their visit, and whether you will provide room and board or any other financial assistance for the visit.

Your evidence of funding:

If you provide room and board or any other specific expenses of the trip (such as airfare), you should supply evidence of your funding such as a bank statement or employment letter. There is no minimum dollar amount that you must reflect; but you should indicate an amount that is reasonable for the level of support you are providing.

Evidence of your status in the US:

You should provide your family members/friends with a copy of your current UW Bothell I-20 (do NOT send the original), F1 visa, passport ID page, I-94 record. The I-94 record is online at: Make sure all of the information on your I-20 (i.e. your major, program end date, travel signature, etc.) are current. If the information is not current, contact the Center for International Education at to update your information on the I-20.

Evidence of your student status/graduation at UW Bothell:

There are two documents that you can receive from the UW Bothell Registrars Office (Husky Hall 1130,

Enrollment Verification Letter: This is a FREE official letter that confirms that you are a student at UW Bothell. If you have a graduation application on file, then the letter can also confirm that you have applied to graduate for a specific quarter.

Official Transcript: For $9 per copy, your transcript is an official document that confirms that you are a student at UW Bothell. You can request a transcript in person or online at: