Center for International Education

Health Insurance

Required for All International Students at UW

Washington state laws require that international students on an F-1 or J visa maintain adequate health insurance while attending the University of Washington. All matriculated international students in F-1 or J-1 status at the University of Washington are required to purchase the University of Washington Student Health Insurance every quarter they are enrolled in courses. There are some expections where UW will waive the requirement for a student - see below for details.

Enrollment is Through MyUW

Enrollment for UW's International Student Health Insurance Plan (ISHIP) is through MyUW as part of the course registration process. The health insurance fee will be added to your tuition statement, which is due by the third Friday of each quarter.

Having troubles enrolling? Check out our helpful "how to enroll guide" here.