F1 Immigration Rules to Follow
- Employment at UW Seattle, UW Tacoma and Cascadia are not permitted. On-campus is defined as the UW Bothell campus.
- Your paycheck must come from UW Bothell. Thus, working at establishments on campus, such as Subway, is not allowed.
- You are permitted to work on the UW Bothell campus for up to 20 hours/week during an academic quarter.
- During annual vacation (quarter off) and between quarters, you may work up to 40 hours/week on campus.
- You must follow all employment regulations governing your visa status. If you have questions, come talk with an International Student Advisor.
What Kind of On-Camps Jobs Can I Do?
International students have found many on-campus job opportunities, such as working as a tutor for the QSC or Writing & Communication Center (WACC), or active in various student programs through Student Engagement & Activites Office. Students have also held positions in academic departments, such as a course grader, research assistant, or student assistant.
How Do I Find an On-Campus Job?
The Career Center is the best place to check for current on-campus job opportunities. Information about jobs are listed here and through the weekly email you receive from Career Center called "Career Center News".
You can also talk with the academic department or office that you are interested in working at to see if they have any opportunities opening soon.
I Found an On-Campus Job! What Do I Do Next?
You landed your first on-campus job, fantastic! Your supervisor will give you some paperwork to complete so that you can be enrolled in the UW Bothell payroll system. This paperwork can sometimes be confusing, so we encourage you to look through this helpful guide on How to Complete Form 1007.
In addition, if you don't already have a Social Security Number, you can now apply for one! Please visit the SSN information for your next steps.
I Want to Hire an International Student for an On-Campus Job. (UW Bothell Employer Information)
UW Bothell Fiscal & Payroll Services has fantastic information to help you get started on what paperwork to submit when hiring an international student (on F1 visa) for an on-campus job. Please visit www.uwb.edu/finance/payroll and see the Foreign Nationals section.