Community Engagement Council
The Community Engagement Council’s central purpose is to advise and assist the University of Washington Bothell in advancing its Community Engagement Mission. It reports to the Chancellor.
The Council (and its Executive Committee) provides a forum for conversation among a range of UW Bothell units and community partners. The conversation is a value in itself for advancing shared understandings; to do so, the Council will develop and maintain a timeline with goals, strategy and tactics to achieve the community engagement mission.
The Council is responsible for reviewing annually progress in achieving them. Further, the Council will be a communication mechanism to expand the range of university and community members informed about and involved with UW Bothell’s Community Engagement efforts. It will also have a quality assurance function in insuring that engagement initiatives undertaken by the University are reviewed in a timely way.
The Council will make strategic recommendations and periodic updates on progress and quality to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the Chancellor.
Chancellor's Charge Letter to Council
- Deanna Kennedy, Associate Professor, School of Business, Chair (2018-20)
- Kara Adams, Director of Community Engagement, CE representative
- Melissa Arias, Associate Vice Chancellor for Advancement, Advancement representative
- Sam Al-Khoury, Director of Student Engagement & Activities
- Bruce Burgett/Ed Buendia, Dean representative (School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences, and School of Educational Studies)
- Sri Devi Duvvuri , Assistant Professor, School of Business, Business faculty representative
- David Goldstein, Principal Lecturer, School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences, CBLR Fellows representative
- Rayyan Hussain, ASUWB Director of Community Relations, Student
- Cameron Locke, Student
- Charity Lovitt, Lecturer, School of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics, STEM faculty representative
- Keith Nitta, Associate Professor, School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences, IAS faculty representative
- Kim Wilson, Interim Director, Career Services
- TBD - Representative for School of Nursing & Health Studies and School of Educational Studies on rotational basis
- (vacant) GSO representative
Community Partner Members
- Mary Houston, Director of Service Delivery, Workforce Snohomish
- Tom Laing, Director, Latino Education Training Institute
- Rosario Reyes, Founder and CEO, Latino Education Training Institute
- Kurt Sahl, Director of Operations, 21 Acres
- Rana San, Community Programmer, Northwest Film Forum
- TBD, Cocoon House
- Marissa Vichayapai, Program Director, 21 Progress
- City of Bothell, TBD
- Shauna Carlisle, Associate Professor, School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences
- Charles Collins, Assistant Professor, School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences
- Natalia Dyba, Director of Global Initiatives
- Joy Emory, Analyst, Office of Institutional Research
- Ann McMahon, Executive Director of Research Strategy for Broad Impact, Office of Research
Community Engagement Council Executive Committee
Responsibilities of the Community Engagement Council Executive Committee: Managing the work of the Council, including agenda-setting, tracking of sub-committee work, and tracking of Council recommendations and assessment of their implementation.