Hyoryung Nam, Ph.D.
Ph.D. in Marketing, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, College Park (Minor: Economics)
M.S. in Management Engineering, Graduate School of Management, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Seoul, Korea (Concentration: Marketing Engineering)
B.S. in Political Science and International Relations, College of Political Science and Economics, Korea University, Seoul, Korea
Substantive areas: Social Media Marketing, Internet Marketing, Marketing Metrics, Brand Equity Management, Innovation, Marketing-Finance Interface
Methods: Topic Modeling, Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Big Data Analytics, Network Analysis, Bayesian Methods
Assistant Professor, September 2015 - Present
School of Business, University of Washington Bothell
Assistant Professor, September 2012 - August 2015
Department of Business Economics, Erasmus School of Economics, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
TEACHING INTERESTS/COURSES TAUGHT
Social Media Marketing and Analytics
Marketing Intelligence/ Marketing Research Methods
Camacho, Nuno, Hyoryung Nam, Stefan Stremersch, and P.K. Kannan (2019), “Tournaments to Crowdsource Innovation: The Role of Moderator Feedback and Participation Intensity,” forthcoming, Journal of Marketing.
Nam, Hyoryung, Yogesh Joshi, and P.K. Kannan (2017), “Harvesting Brand Information from Social Tags,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 81 (July), 88-108.
Nam, Hyoryung and P.K. Kannan (2014), “Informational Value of Social Tagging Networks,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 78 (July), 21-40.
Winner, MSI/H. Paul Root Award Winner
SELECTED INVITED TALKS AND CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
"The Dynamics of Products on Social Tagging Networks: Insights for Demand Forecast and Positioning" by Hyoryung Nam, William Rand, P.K. Kannan
- Marketing Research Camp on Social Media and Big Data Marketing, Bocconi University, Milan, Italy, 2015.
- INFORMS Workshop on Data Mining and Analytics, San Francisco, 2014. [presented by P.K. Kannan]
- Research Seminar at the School of Business, University of Washington Bothell, 2014.
- INFORMS Marketing Science Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, 2013.
"Social Tag and Brand Maps" by Hyoryung Nam, Yogesh Joshi, and P.K. Kannan
- Invited to the Special track on Internet and Interactive Marketing, INFORMS Marketing Science Conference, Houston, Texas, 2011.
- Marketing Academic Research Colloquium (MARC), University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, May 2011.
"Informational Value of Social Tagging Networks" by Hyoryung Nam and P.K. Kannan
- Research Seminar, Smeal College of Business, Penn State University, 2014. [presented by P.K. Kannan]
- INFORMS Marketing Science Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, 2012.
- Research Seminar, School of Business, Hong Kong University, Hong Kong, 2011.
- Research Seminar, Erasmus School of Economics, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, the Netherlands, 2011.
- Marketing Strategy Meets Wall Street II Conference, Boston University, Boston, 2011.
“Promoting Out-of-box Ideas: The Role of Feedback in Crowdsourcing” by Nuno Camacho, Hyoryung Nam, P.K. Kannan, and Stefan Stremersch
- ECMI - AMA - EMAC Marketing and Innovation Symposium, Rotterdam, Netherlands, 2014.
HONORS AND AWARDS
2014 MSI/H. Paul Root Award Winner
Marie Curie International Incoming Fellowship, European Union, 175,974.60 EURO, 2013-2015.
Jacob K. Goldhaber Travel Grant, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, 2011.
Dean’s Summer Research Fellow, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, $9000 each year, 2006-2011.