Administering directory access
This page is intended to assist primary publishers with approving/requesting access to their directory/directories with the web team.
A primary publisher is the point person between their unit and the Web Team - they are responsible for acting as "gatekeepers" to their directory and inform the web team who is allowed access and what level of user permissions to grant. They submit the access request forms to inform the web team if permission needs to be granted or removed.
There are two user roles in Kentico with different levels of access; editors and publishers. Primary Publishers are encouraged to keep the number of publishers down to as few as possible and editors as the majority in order to ensure compliance and consistency. For the sake of clarity on this page, the umbrella term for both editors and publishers is "content editors."
This user can create/edit webpages as well as content (text, tables, images, hyperlinks, etc.); they must notify a publisher when publishing, deleting, and archiving a page is needed. Student employees are only allowed this level of access.
This user has the same access as an editor but additionally can archive and delete pages as well as publish changes. They are also expected to review and publish editor content updates. They are responsible for having a higher level of knowledge around UW Bothell brand standards and federal, state, and university policies on accessibility at UW Bothell.
Approval process for brand new content editors
- Kentico utilizes the UW NetID credentials for logging into Kentico; employees should contact UW IT (Seattle) with NetID account questions.
- The Primary publisher should submit a Kentico access request to the Advancement & External Relations Web Team for review. Unless you have permission from the primary publisher, content editors should not submit their own directory access requests.
- The web team will verify if additional information is needed from the primary publisher and then log the request in our project tracking system.
- New content editors will be asked to attend a mandatory introductory training prior to receiving access.
- After the training, the Web Support Specialist will assign the designated role to the content editor within Kentico. They will send a confirmation email and Cc their supervisor and primary publisher.
Approval process for current content editors
For those who already have a Kentico account and access but need additional directory access.
- Primary publishers should submit a Kentico access request to the Advancement & External Relations Web Team for review. Unless you have permission from the primary publisher, content editors should not submit their own directory access requests.
- The web team will verify if additional information is needed from the primary publisher.
- The Digital Content Specialist from the web team will receive the request, assign the designated role to the appropriate user, and respond to the request. The content editor, their supervisor, and the primary publisher will be notified when the task is completed.
If you have any questions about the process, please send them to UW Bothell Advancement and External Relations Web Team: email@example.com
Primary publisher's - Kentico access request
This section is to assist primary publishers with the requesting process. Please read the approval process in the paragraphs above for an overview; written permission (via email) from the effected Primary Publisher(s) is needed.
E-mail the Web Team at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access and include the following information:
- New content editors full name, NetID (@uw.edu) - not the primary publisher's info
- Top level directory name(s) (example: uwb.edu/advancement, uwb.edu/studentaffairs, etc.)
- Access cannot be granted to individual pages; entire directory access only
- Editor or Publisher level access? Students cannot be granted publisher level access.
- Are they UW Bothell faculty, staff, or student-employee?
- Any comments.
- Ashley Magdall, email@example.com
- /advancement, /brand, /alumni
- UWB Staff
- "Ashley works on the web team and will be assisting us edit our directories. Please grant her publisher level access. She's already registered for trainings on uwb.edu/brand/website"