Biology Advisor | Chris Shaeffer
Contact Chris for any questions related to the Biology major, including admissions information and program requirements.
Students admitted to the Biology major, Biology minor, or Neuroscience minor can meet with Chris in-person or through an online Zoom conference call for assistance in a variety of areas, including course planning, locating campus resources, navigating university policies and procedures, and preparing for life after graduation.
Since graduating from Temple University in Japan in 2009, Chris has continuously worked with students from all over the world to help them learn and grow through higher education in the United States. He joined UW Bothell’s School of STEM advising team in 2014.
His interests include teaching and learning languages (ask him about his free Japanese lessons!), exploring culture and the great outdoors, flowcharts, and algae.
Click a link or scroll down to navigate.
- How to check in
- Scheduling an appointment
- Drop-in advising
- Other support services
- Academic support
- Community support
- Health & financial support
How to check in
Check in at the School of STEM Undergraduate Student Services desk in Discovery Hall 352 on the third floor, across from the elevators. For directions to the building, access our Maps & Directions page.
After scheduling your appointment, you will receive an automated confirmation message containing the appointment link. Alternatively, you can click here to check into Zoom!
Scheduling an appointment
If you have been admitted to the Biology major, click here to shedule an appointment!
Don't see any available times?
Appointments are only available for scheduling up to two weeks in advance. New appointment times become available each weeknight at midnight. If you do not see any availability, please try again the next weekday or use one of the following contact options:
If you are not in the Biology major, please use one of the following contact options:
We have regular online drop-in times for quick questions. Check in at one of the times listed below and we will be with you as soon as we can. Please note that we might not be available some weeks due to illness, other responsibilities, holidays, or a large number of people in the waiting room.
- Mondays & Tuesdays: 2:30 PM to 3:30 PM
- Wednesdays: No drop-ins
- Thursdays & Fridays: 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Saturdays & Sundays: No drop-ins
Other support services
- Biology Club. Connect with your peers to access resources, build community, find study buddies, and have fun!
- Division of Student Affairs. There are too many resources to list here! If you want to dive more deeply into all the possible options for connection and support at UW Bothell, check out the Student Affairs website.
- International Student Services. Helps with maintaining your student visa, applying for CPT or OPT, and other support.
- Student Diversity Center. Helps with advocacy, connection, inclusion, and mentoring for all students.
- Student Government. The Associated Students of the University of Washington Bothell (ASUWB) is one of the best ways to get involved on campus and advocate for student needs and welfare.
- Veterans Services. Helps with navigating veterans benefits.
Health and financial support
- Career Services. Helps with job search strategies, resume reviews, mock interviews, internships and job postings.
- Counseling Center. Confidential mental and emotional health support.
- COVID-19 Information. Information and support services related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Health and Wellness Resource Center (HaWRC). Additonal financial support and financial coaching. Access to food, clothing, healthcare, housing, and transportation.
- Financial Aid Office. Helps with understanding and managing your tuition and fees. Information on funding such as grants, scholarships, or loans