Writing Skills Assessment (WSA) registration
The WSA registration tool allows applicants to register for a WSA offered by any of the University of Washington business schools.
Application testing periods
||Application Testing Period
||January 1 - October 24
||January 1 - February 28
||January 1 - July 31
Writing Skills Assessment dates
Due to COVID-19 we are not offering Writing Skills Assessments for the current cycle. The next Writing Skills Assessment cycle will begin June 1st. Please email email@example.com with questions.
Writing Assessment guidelines and details
- Students may log into the tri-campus WSA registration portal (the tool is on the Foster School of Business website) with their UW NetID. If you do not have a NetID yet, there are instructions on the registration portal with links on how to obtain a sponsored NetID.
- Students must indicate which type of photo identification they will bring to the test session in their registration form. The valid identification types are: passport, state issued driver's license, state issued ID card, Husky card, other college photo ID card, or military photo ID card. The name on your photo ID must match the name on your registration form. The University of Washington welcomes undocumented students; the Washington State Department of Licensing issues photo identification to Washington state residents.
- Students must pay their registration fee ($35 standard assessment fee/ $45 for out of area) online prior to selecting their WSA test session.
- On-campus (standard) registration
To take the WSA at UW Seattle, UW Bothell or UW Tacoma with standard testing arrangements, please choose this option. Each campus has a different date by which a student must complete the WSA for each application cycle.
- Students typically register for the Standard WSA Assessment, these sessions are offered on all University of Washington campuses (Seattle, Tacoma and Bothell). See below for Disability and Off-site testing accommodations.
- Special accommodations registration
Nonstandard testing arrangements are available for students with current documented disabilities.
Please include your academic accommodations plan from your current college or university—we do not need your diagnosis paperwork. If you have not already registered with Disability Resources for Students, we recommend you do that as soon as possible as it can take several weeks to have an accommodations plan approved.
You will be contacted to schedule a testing time during normal business hours: Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Disability Accommodation requests must be received no later than two weeks prior to the application deadline in order to ensure testing space is available with the campus disability services office. For additional information, contact Rosa Liu at firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-352-5307.
- Out-of-area registration
If you live more than 50 miles from or have more than a 90 minute commute to any UW campus, you may register to take the WSA at an institution other than the University of Washington. If you require special accommodations, please include supporting documentation with your registration form. Note: International testing is not available. You must pay for and register no later than one month in advance of the WSA deadline of the campus(es) to which you are applying. You must arrange for a location and find a faculty or staff member at your current institution who will administer the WSA, maintain security, and return materials to the University of Washington Undergraduate Program Office (UPO). In the registration form, you will be required to provide the name and email address of your exam administrator. The administrator will be contacted by email to confirm that they are willing to proctor the WSA for you. The administrator you identified must then complete the "Agreement to Administer the Writing Skills Assessment" form. We will independently validate that your administrator is an employee of an accredited institute of higher education and is qualified to act as a proctor. Materials will be shipped to your administrator within two weeks after the UPO receives your registration form. Schedule enough time for your completed assessment to reach the UPO by the application deadline for the business school you wish to attend. Once your administrator receives the materials, you will have a maximum of 10 days to schedule your WSA, complete it and have your administrator return the materials to the UPO.
The cost to register for an off-site exam is $45. You are responsible for any additional fees charged by your administrator or institution.
- Once paid, students will select from test sessions available at any University of Washington campus. Test dates fill up quickly. You may register up until 2 full days before the day (not the time) of the test, e.g. up until Tuesday at 11:59 PM (Pacific) for a test anytime the following Friday, or until the test is sold out. We encourage you to register as soon as possible to avoid missing the opportunity.
- Students will receive a confirmation email from the campus where they are taking the WSA, which will include the specific campus location of the test.
- Your WSA fee is non-refundable. Please read the details below about Refunds and Rescheduling.
- Refund policy
The $35.00 assessment fee is non-refundable. If a student does not reschedule (see rescheduling details below) and does not show up to their test session, they will be marked as a "No Show" for that test date and will be able to log into the Foster School WSA registration portal the day after the missed session to pay for and register for a new test session.
If you have paid for and selected a test session, then you may log back into the Foster School WSA registration portal to change your WSA test session. Assuming space availability, a student may change their WSA date/time until ONE week before their originally scheduled testing session. For example, if I register to take the WSA on January 18, 2019, then I have until Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. to change my test session.
If you have questions about the WSA, please e-mail email@example.com.
Please monitor your inbox for important emails regarding payment and confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org. In some cases, you may receive an email that will require a response within 48 hours; failure to respond may result in being removed from the test session you registered for.
Register for a WSA