International Students

First Year Students

An international student is an applicant who is not a United States citizen or permanent resident and plans to attend a college, university, or other post-secondary education institution in the U.S.  This includes applicants that hold U.S. visas as students, exchange visitors, or other nonimmigrant classifications.

International students who have not completed any college credit after completing secondary (high school) education should apply as a first-year.

The information we provide in this International Admissions section is for international students who are not United States citizens or permanent residents and plan to attend a college, university, or other post-secondary educational institution in the U.S. This includes applicants that hold F-1 student visas, J-1 exchange visitor visas, or other non immigrant classifications. If you have dual U.S. citizenship, U.S. permanent residency, refugee status, or political asylum, you are not considered an international student. If you have applied for U.S. permanent residency (i.e., green card) and you anticipate it will be approved before enrolling at the UW Bothell, you should not apply as an international student but as a domestic First-Year, Transfer, or Post-Baccalaureate.

Undergraduate-level studies in the U.S. lead to the first university degree, a Bachelor’s degree either in Art or Science. A bachelor’s degree in any field of study generally takes four years to complete and includes general academic course work and course work in a specific area of academic interest. Students seeking undergraduate studies either have or will complete secondary-level education or are planning to transfer from another college or university, but have not yet completed a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.

Application Process

International applications are reviewed by our trained international admission specialists. In some cases, our admission specialists also review the applications of U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and refugees who were educated outside of the United States.

The online application fee for international students is $75.

Minimum Admission Requirements

All international students must meet minimum admission requirements to be considered for admission: 

Students currently enrolled in high school are required to submit an academic transcript for grades 9, 10, and 11 and list the courses in progress. If grade 9 was part of junior high school in your country, you must submit a copy of your transcript for the final year of junior high school (equivalent to grade 9 in the U.S.).

If you did not complete high school, you must submit a transcript for all years completed, including grade 9. Coursework completed before grade 9 or its equivalent will not be considered as having satisfied the CADRs. 


The UW Bothell Office of Admissions provides the service of international transcript evaluations. Third-party evaluations will not be accepted. Official academic records are required from all previous institutions in your education history, starting with secondary (high school) education.
It is the responsibility of applicants to supply all required academic records. If you are requesting records from a country or institution where you may have difficulty with timeliness or issuance, please make certain you request your documents allowing enough time for them to be received for your application. We require the document in the original language when the issuing institution cannot issue in English. If it is issued in a language other than English, we also require an English translation. All transcripts written in any language other than English must be accompanied by a certified literal English translation in the same format as the originals.
To be considered official, the translator must be certified by the American Translators Association or corresponding body in the originating country, or should have a Master’s degree in Translation or Interpretation, or be completed by the issuing institution.
Note: Any document submitted to the Office of Admissions to supplement the application becomes part of the official admissions record and cannot be released back to the student.


To students pursuing a first bachelor's degree, the Office of Admissions awards transfer credit according to the guidelines. Admissions reserves the right to accept or reject credits earned at other institutions of higher education.