Dean of STEM
Expected in Spring 2020
School of STEM
Isaacson, Miller Search
Advisory Search Committee Charge Letter
October 1, 2019
- Shari Dworkin, Search Committee Chair, Dean, School of Nursing and Health Studies
- Salwa Al-Noori, Lecturer, Biological Sciences, School of STEM
- Erik Baserman, Advisory Board Member
- Wynter Broussard, senior, Physics major
- Christy Cherrier, STEM Lab Coordinator
- Tadesse Ghirmai, Associate Professor, Engineering and Mathematics, School of STEM
- Christine Howard, STEM Administrator
- Joey Key, Assistant Professor, Physical Sciences, School of STEM
- Johnny Lin, Senior Lecturer, Computing and Software Systems, School of STEM
- Van Nguyen, senior, Biology major
- Linda Simonsen, Professor, Engineering and Mathematics, School of STEM
Thank you for agreeing to serve on the search committee to identify the next Dean of the School of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). This is a very important leadership position for UW Bothell as the campus continues to move forward to achieve our vision to provide a transformational learning community. The Dean is responsible for leading the School of STEM and its faculty, staff and students, sustainably managing resources, serving on the Council of Academic Deans, collaborating with campus partners, actively developing external partnerships, and providing support for campus commitments to community engagement, cross-disciplinarity, and connected learning.
As outlined in Executive Order 20, “the duty of the appointment committee is to search for suitable candidates, to study and determine their qualifications, and to obtain and evaluate all data.” You will be supported by an external search firm, Isaacson, Miller, led by Regan Gough, Jaime Morgen, and Drew Kessler.
I ask that you approach this process in a broadly inclusive manner that engages the campus community and seeks a pool of candidates that reflects UWB's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. I am very hopeful that all of you will attend the Best Practices for Faculty Searches session on Thursday, November 14, 2019, from 10:00am to 12:00pm in the Rose Room. Please follow this link for registration: https://www.uwb.edu/hr/calendar?trumbaEmbed=view%3Devent%26eventid%3D132560308
I ask as well that you apply the following considerations during the search:
- What are the future needs of the region and, more broadly, the State of Washington in the area of STEM?
- What are the key opportunities for the School over the next five years?
- What are the challenges facing the School over the next five years?
I expect that we will have a strong pool of candidates interested in this position. I ask that you identify from the available pool up to three candidates whom you would recommend we bring to campus for extended interviews with a broader community. I look forward to advice from you about the strengths and weaknesses of each of the finalists by February with the expectation that candidates will be brought to campus in the Spring Quarter.
Sharon A. Jones
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Washington Bothell