Outstanding Public Service Award
The Outstanding Public Service Award was created in 2020 by the Community Engagement Council. UW Bothell values the many staff and faculty members who engage in service independent of their positions on campus. Aligned with the Carnegie Foundation’s purpose of community engagement, this award recognizes staff and faculty service efforts that address critical societal issues; contribute to an engaged citizenry; strengthen democratic values and civic responsibility; and contribute to the public good.
Nominations may be made by faculty, staff, students, or by a member of an organization that has benefited from the public service activity. Staff and faculty may also self-nominate.
2023 – Shauna Elbers Carlisle
2021 – Maria Lamarca Anderson
2020 – Dani Rowland
Criteria for selection
Public service work may be short- or long-term, may be undertaken with single or multiple partners, and may be local, state, national, or global service work. Employee should be active with service work within the past two years of working at UW Bothell. Service work needs to be performed without compensation. It may be uncompensated consulting work within one’s area of expertise, or volunteer work in other areas. Permanent staff positions (classified and professional) and all faculty (tenured, tenure-track, full and part-time lecturers, artists-in-residents) are eligible.
- Evidence of impact through service efforts
- Service activity contributed to one or multiple of the Carnegie Foundation’s purpose of community engagement: address critical societal issues; contribute to an engaged citizenry; strengthen democratic values and civic responsibility; and/or contribute to the public good.
- Alignment with UW Bothell’s Mission and Vision
- access to higher education
- life-long learning
- build an inclusive and supportive community of learning and incorporate multicultural content and diverse perspectives on ethnic and racial groups, gender, sexual orientation, social class, and special needs
- foster productive relationships with the employment community and promote a strong public service commitment
- Core Values:
- transformational education
- engaged scholarship
- inclusive culture
- At least two years working at UW Bothell prior to nomination
Nominations for the 2023 Outstanding Public Service Award are closed