We are now hiring for positions opening Fall 2013!
Application Deadline: August 23rd
Peer Consultants at the University of Washington Bothell Writing and Communication Center tutor UW Bothell students through individual conferences, group workshops (within and outside of scheduled courses) and peer groups. Our goal is to help students become stronger, more confident writers and communicators.
Peer consultants are also responsible for completing projects related to educational outreach, marketing and/or teaching. These tasks have included, for example, visiting classes to publicize our services, and assisting with peer review sessions.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
· Confer with students face-to-face and online to provide feedback on assignments, ideas, outlines and drafts of papers
· Assist students with all aspects of reading, writing and communication processes
· Receive continued training in writing and tutoring pedagogy and practice
· Assist in planning, publicizing and implementing Writing and Communication Center activities and programs
· Market services to students through class presentations, flyers, posters, etc.
· Other duties as assigned
· Strong interest in and passion for writing
· Strong command of the academic writing process and the nuances of grammar
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work with diverse students, coworkers, supervisors and others in a friendly, courteous manner
· Able to commit for at least one year
· Attend all mandatory staff meetings on Thursdays from 3:30 to 5pm
· Proficiency with Microsoft Word
· Current UW Bothell student
· Customer service experience.
· Good public speaking skills.
· Familiarity with Excel and PowerPoint
$10.25/hr for undergrads; $11.05/hr for students with a bachelor’s degree or above.
Personal and professional development opportunities, including public speaking, attending and presenting at regional conferences, contributing to the campus writing culture, and publishing opportunities.
To apply, please send the following to Kim Sharp, Writing and Communication Center Assistant Director, at email@example.com:
· Two writing samples from coursework you have completed within the past year
Cover letter that addresses the following questions:
1. Why do you want to work in the Writing and Communication Center?
2. How could you contribute to the mission and goals of the Writing and Communication Center? (Please refer to www.uwb.edu/writingcenter
For more information, contact Kim Sharp, Writing and Communication Center Assistant Director at firstname.lastname@example.org