TLC Faculty Reimbursement Procedures

Faculty Travel Funds Reimbursement Procedures

If you have been approved to receive Faculty Travel Funds from the Teaching and Learning Center, to help you with your trip, please follow the steps below.

Travel Rules:

  1. All travel must be pre-approved; there will not be retroactive funding.
  2. The TLC Travel Funds application must be approved by the traveler’s home school or other unit before submitting to the TLC. The Travel Authorization form is to be submitted at the same time.
  3. Requests for TLC funding must be received at least 5 business days prior to date of travel.
  4. If the trip is not taken, or is cancelled prior to travel, any conference registration, travel arrangements (e.g. airfare, train fare) purchased by the TLC is to be reimbursed by the traveler within 30 days of the intended departure date.
  5. It is the responsibility of the traveler to be sure conference registration and travel arrangements have been made. The TLC Program Coordinator can help with these arrangements if needed.
  6. The traveler is responsible for submitting receipts from the conference to the TLC in order for the reimbursement to be processed. The School of Nursing and Health Studies will make all travel arrangements for its faculty members.
  7. Although the UW can reimburse for lodging through non-conventional systems such as AirBnB and VRBO, a requirement for lodging reimbursement is that it’s a commercial lodging facility, and meets the policy in that they are advertised to the general public. If you do use them, make sure your receipt comes from the services itself and not the lodging owner.
  8. The TLC does not reimburse for transportation through non-conventional systems such as Lyft. You may use such transportation but cannot be reimbursed for it with TLC funds.

For additional travel rules and responsibilities, visit the University of Washington Travel website.

After funding is approved

The TLC Program Coordinator can help with the following:

  • conference registration
  • airline transportation
  • shuttle to/from SeaTac International Airport

If you choose, you can pay the registration, and make all travel arrangements up front and then submit receipts for reimbursement (see Reimbursement section below for instructions). Most travelers, however, prefer to let us make the purchases so they do not have to pay up front and deal with reimbursement.

Even though they may be cheaper, package deals for airfare and hotel are discouraged. Receipts showing the breakdown of airfare and nightly hotel charges are not always provided and these are needed for reimbursement.

Note:   The School of Nursing and Health Studies will make all travel arrangements for its faculty members.

Reimbursement Process

For meals and lodging, you must be in Travel Status (see definition below from the UW Travel website).

Travel Status:

  • on behalf of the University/State,
  • three hours beyond your normal work hours, and
  • more than 50 miles one way (most direct route) from either your official station or your official residence, exclusive of commute between your official station and official residence

Upon return, submit the Travel Reimbursement Claim (obtained from the home school or unit) form along with all receipts from the conference to your home school or unit for processing. Receipts will include, but are not limited to, the following:

  1.  hotel folio (receipt)
  2.  transportation
  • if driving to the conference, proof of mileage is required in the form of a mileage map
  • car rental (final agreement)
  1.  parking
  2. any additional receipts for expenses incurred travelling to/from the conference
  • meal reimbursement on behalf of others

Meals are covered under a standard per diem rate set by the federal government, so you do not need to save receipts for meals. 

Receipts are to be submitted to your home school or unit to process an Expense Report.


If you or your home unit has any questions, or needs help with any part of this process, please contact the TLC Program Coordinator, Robyn Smidley, at or 425-352-3528.