Student Success Center Student Employment

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's):


What positions are available in the Student Success Center?

We have many positions available for the 2016-2017 academic year across all of our units and services.  Check out the "Position Descriptions" page for more information on available positions, and read full job descriptions.

Can I apply for several positions?

YES!  You may apply for up to 3 positions with the Student Success Center.  We encourage you to think critically about your own professional development and skills you are looking to develop when considering which positions to apply for.  Limiting students to 3 positions encourages students to narrow down exactly what they are looking for in student employment.  You may be offered several positions, and you may hold several positions as long as you are working no more than 19.5 hours per week.

Where is the application?  How long do I have to complete it?

The application is accessible via a Google form here: SSC Student Employment Application, and will be open from March 3, 2017 until April 6, 2017 at midnight. If you receive an error message when opening the application, make sure you are logged out of all personal Google accounts so that you can login with your UW Net ID.  The application will allow candidates to input their basic information (name, major, etc.) for all SSC positions.  Candidates will also need to submit their resume and cover letter for each position.

Why do I have to submit a separate resume and cover letter for each position?

Career Services at UW Bothell recommends that each resume and cover letter you submit for any position be specifically customized for that position.  By reading the position description, you get an idea of what type of skills and experience will be most beneficial for the position, and you may customize your resume appropriately to meet the needs of the position.  For additional help with your resume and cover letter, we encourage all candidates to visit Career Services.

I have some questions about my eligibility for on-campus employment.  Where can I find more information?

More information for students who are unsure if they qualify for on-campus employment can be found here, on the Career Services website:  

I have never had a job.  Is that ok?

YES!  We understand this may be students' first formal employment, and we are interested in any and all levels of experience.  In this case, it's probably a good idea to visit with Career Services to prepare a resume, cover letter, and conduct a mock interview.

I have completed the application and uploaded my resume and cover letter to all the jobs I am interested in.  Now what?

SSC departments will be reviewing application materials once the application closes on April 6, 2017.  After applications are reviewed, successful candidates will be invited to interview.

If selected for an interview, Career Services can conduct a mock interview appointment with you to practice.  Additionally, they've got some great information on interviews here:

What about references?

The need for references vary based on SSC department.  If references are needed, the hiring manager will communicate those needs with you.  It's always a good idea to think about who you might ask to serve as a reference for you, regardless of immediate need.  Career Services has some great tips for asking for references or letters of recommendation:

I can't attend the mandatory training (June 14-16), and/or I don't know if I can commit for the full year.  What should I do?

You will be asked to communicate this information in your application.  They will work with you to establish alternative plans, if feasible.  

I'm having some technical issues with the application, and/or I have some questions.  What do I do?

Give us a call!  We are happy to help.  Chances are if you are having trouble, someone else may be too!  Call us at (425) 352-3427, or send us an email at

If you are having trouble with the application, or have any questions, please call us at (425) 352-3427, or send an email to