There are many scholarships to support students in studying abroad. Securing external funding for a study abroad experience requires good planning. It is recommended that you think at least two quarters in advance. For example, if you want to study abroad in the fall, you must apply for study abroad scholarships during Winter and Spring Quarters.
To increase your chances of qualifying for a scholarship, consider study abroad programs that are at least a month long and in non-traditional locations, i.e. outside of Western Europe and Australia.
For general information about studying abroad and how to get started visit the Study Abroad section of the new Global Initiatives website.
- Funding - $500 to $2,000 - for travel expenses required to participate in a study abroad program.
- Applicants must be current UW Bothell students enrolled full-time, residents of Washington State, have a minimum 3.0 GPA, and commit to promoting study abroad opportunities among UW Bothell students upon their return as a Study Abroad Ambassador.
- Deadlines: August, November, April, June
Next application (available soon via canvas) will be due Friday, June 28, by 11:59pm
- Funded by US Congress, the Gilman program aims to bring diversity to study abroad.
- Non-traditional destinations are preferred and programs must be at least four weeks.
- Applicants must be US citizens, undergraduates, and be receiving a Federal Pell Grant.
- Deadlines: October, March
- The GO! Scholarship is funded by the WA Legislature to support undergraduates with financial need.
- Applicants must be WA state residents eligible for Husky Promise or a Federal Pell Grant.
- Deadlines: November, April
- Multiple awards are funded each year by the Chester Fritz Endowment.
- Applicants must full-time UW students, majoring in the Humanities or Social Sciences, and have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Deadlines: November, April
- Four scholarships for students participating in credit-bearing study or internship programs abroad. Awards range from $500 to $2,500.
- Applicants must be US citizens. Both undergraduates and graduate students are eligible. Additional criteria vary depending on award.
- Deadlines: November, March, July
- Funded by the National Security Education Program, Boren Awards encourage undergraduates and graduates to study less commonly taught languages and cultures in regions critical to US national security interests.
- The scholarship offers up to $20,000 for year-long programs.
- Applicants must be US citizens.
- Recipients commit to work for the federal government for one year post-graduation.
- Deadline: Early January
- The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers a variety of opportunities for Americans to study, conduct research, or work in Germany, including study abroad scholarships, summer study programs, and research internships in science and engineering.
- Proficiency in German may be required.
- Deadline: End of January
- The US-UK Fulbright Commission offers fully funded, 4-6 week study abroad programs at prestigious British institutions to promote Americans’ understanding of the UK.
- Freshmen and sophomores who are US citizens, have a 3.5+ GPA, and have limited international experience are encouraged to apply.
- Deadline: March
- $1,000 award for current or aspiring teachers to supplement the cost of classroom materials or to assist in the participation of a teaching program abroad.
- Applicants will be judged according to creativity of writing sample, displayed analytical thinking, and passion for teaching abroad and/or teaching a foreign language.
- Deadline: Mid-June
- $600 award for talented writers and photographers with a passion for storytelling and a knack for finding truly unique stories.
- The program is open to anyone who will be working, volunteering, or studying outside of his or her home country for at least 10 weeks.
- Deadline: End of July
- $1,000 for students who have been accepted to a study abroad program that includes volunteerism.
- The scholarship is awarded based on creativity and analytical thinking displayed through writing samples and/or video submissions.
- Deadline: Mid-September
Affiliated Program Scholarships
- CIEE - Council on International Education Exchange
- SIT Study Abroad
- IE3 Global Internships