Counseling FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions

What is available to me and is there a charge?  
Student Mental Health Counseling Services provides short-term counseling at no charge for currently enrolled University of Washington Bothell students.

When should I seek counseling?
Students are welcome to call and make an appointment with a counselor when they feel they need help in resolving a personal problem, want to explore personal growth issues or need additional support. 

What kinds of problems do students seek help with?
Students seek help for problems including but not limited to: stress, depression, adjustment difficulties, anxiety (including test anxiety), concentration difficulties, grief and loss, relationship problems, domestic violence, sleeping difficulties, family of origin issues, veterans' issues, low self-esteem, sexual assault, academic problems, parenting concerns, substance abuse, or any other concern causing distress or interfering with academic progress. Counseling Services also provides couples' counseling.

Will everything be kept confidential?
All appointments are kept confidential except that information which a counselor is required to report by law (i.e., child abuse, suicide or homicide intent, etc.). Counseling appointments are not a part of a student's transcripts.

What if I need accommodations?
The University of Washington is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodations contact Disability Resources for Students at 425.352.5307, TDD 425.352.5303, FAX 425.352.5114, It would be best if request are made 10 days prior to an event.
How do I make an appointment?
To schedule a personal counseling appointment you may stop by the reception desk at UW1-080 or call (425) 352-3183. Your first appointment will be an intake interview and you will be asked to complete some online forms.

   Picture of people