1. What's the best way to contact my advisor or schedule an appointment?

For quick questions, we encourage students to email iasadv@uw.edu. To schedule an appointment, please click visit http://meetme.so/IASadvising. Our advising office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 AM to 5 PM (closed for lunch from 12 PM to 1 PM).

2. How can I contact my professor?

IAS faculty contact information is available through the IAS faculty page. You can also look up faculty in the UW Bothell directory. Most professors prefer to be contacted via e-mail.

3. Where can I find the major checklist sheet?

You can find your major checklist sheet on the right side of the webpage for your major. See a listing of all IAS majors.

4. I have an uneven number of credits needed to complete my degree. How can I take care of this?

Students may choose to take any available two (2) credit courses or may speak to faculty member about arranging an independent study (1-5 credits). Students may also look at credit courses from other departments as options to fulfill requirements, if needed.

5. Where can I find out what classes will be offered next quarter?

Current quarter class offering can be found on the online time schedule.

6. How can I get into a course that is full?

If a course is full, monitor the web for current enrollment information. Enrollment numbers may fluctuate throughout the registration period. Another option is to sign up for the notify system in MyUW. This program will text or email you when a seat becomes available. Instructors may grant permission for a student to register for a class that is full by asking the IAS Undergraduate office to issue an entry code.

7. What is an entry code? How do I get an entry code?

In the first week of any quarter, students have the ability to add and drop courses. After the first week of the quarter, students are required to have an entry code to add a course. To receive an entry code, the student must have written or e-mail approval from the instructor. Once you have received the instructor’s approval, please bring the written permission to the IAS Undergraduate Office (UW1-390) or forward the e-mail to iasadv@uw.edu.

8. When is the last day for me to drop a course?

Typically, the last day to use your Annual Drop for autumn, winter or spring quarter is the 7th week of the quarter on a Sunday. For detailed list of all deadline dates, please refer to the UW Bothell Academic Calendar.

9. Can I change my major?

Yes, students can change their IAS major. However, we do not recommend that students change their major in their senior year. Students must meet with an IAS advisor in an advising appointment to change to another IAS major. Students who wish to apply to another major outside IAS must contact that program, school or college advisors.

10. Are their prerequisites for the major I want?

Prerequisites are courses needed beyond the general admission requirements for IAS. If you are changing to one of the following majors or pathways, you will be required to complete prerequisites prior:
Environmental Science (BS)- Conservation & Restoration Ecology Pathway
Environemtnal Science (BS)- Earth System Science Pathway
Environmental Studies (BA)
Law, Economics & Public Policy (BA)
Science, Technology & Society (BA)
Mathematical Thinking & Visualization (BA)

11. How do I apply to the Individualized Study major?

The Individualized Study (IS) major is designed for highly-motivated students who want to create their own course of study. If you are interested in the IS major, you should begin by obtaining the agreement of an IAS faculty member to serve as your mentor. You will contsult with your mentor on drafting a statement of intent describing the goals of the individualized study. For more information on the IS major and the application process, please visit the IS major page.

12. What is independent study?

Independent study allows a student to work on a research project under faculty guidance for credit. Students who are interested must have a topic in mind before approaching a professor to ask for permission to enroll. Once permission is received from the professor, the student and professor must complete the Variable Credit Form (available through the IAS Undergraduate office (UW1-390). The student must return the signed form to the IAS Undergraduate Office to obtain an add code to register for the independent study. For each credit awarded, a student must complete the equivalent to five pages of research writing. So, for example, a student would need to complete work equivalent to a 25-page research paper to receive five credits.

13. Can I get credit for doing an internship?

Yes, the IAS academic internship course is BIS 495. It is a 2-6 variable credit non-repeatable course offered every quarter. Students need to find their own internship site, but the Career Center can assist students in identifying possibilities and applying to or interviewing for them. Also, students need to apply to take the internship course mid-way through the prior quarter. For more information on academic and (non-academic) internships, please visit the BIS 495 Internship page

14. I am interested in a Study Abroad program. Where can I find information?

Study Abroad programs are great ways to expand your understanding of the world and to develop intercultural communication skills and adaptability. You can find tips from students, resources and program information on the Global Initiatives page. If you would like to know more about the programs and explore your options, we recommend that you set up an appointment with a Study Abroad advisor. Once you have narrowed down a program of interest, please meet with an IAS advisor to discuss how the Study Abroad program fits into your degree requirements.

15. What are the IAS minors?

There are seven minors in IAS:Creative Writing, Ecological Restoration, Human Rights, Policy Studies, Diversity Studies, Gender, Women & Sexuality Studies and Visual & Media Arts. More information on these minors is listed on the IAS Minors page. It is possible to complete a minor from another program at UW Bothell or from another campus. Students interested in a minor should meet with that program or school advisor as early as possible.

16. When do I apply to graduate?

Both Bachelor of Arts (BA) AND Bachelor of Science (BS) students will need to schedule an advising appointment with an IAS advisors to complete a Graduation Application three quarters before the anticipated quarter of graduation. This will give the student Graduating Senior Priority when registering for classes in the last two quarters.

17. What is BIS 499 Portfolio Capstone? Do I have to take this course?

Bachelor of Arts students are required to take BIS 499 Portfolio Capstone in their last quarter. BIS 499 is a 3 credit course that is capped at 24 students. Learn more about the IAS degree portfolio and capstone course.