It is possible to take graduate courses without being admitted to the Nursing Program by applying to be admitted as a Graduate Non-Matriculated student. Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM) enrollment is beneficial if you are interested in professional development or beginning work toward a graduate degree.
Applying for GNM status is suitable for post-baccalaureate students who want to take graduate courses, but who have not been admitted by the Graduate School to a degree program. GNM status allows qualified students to earn graduate credits in an area of interest. A total of 12 credits can apply toward a graduate degree.
GNM status is not available to international students on F-1 visas. Acceptance as a GNM student does not imply nor does it confer priority for later admission to the Graduate School for pursuit of a degree.
Priority deadline for fall admission is March 1st. Please contact the MN advisor about space-available admission.
Applying for GNM Status
Information submitted by the applicant will be evaluated by UW Bothell Nursing on the following criteria:
- Graduation from an approved baccalaureate program with a grade point average of 3.0 in the last 90 quarter (60 semester) credits;
- Written goal statement referencing a plan for graduate study;
- Current Washington State RN license for courses involving clinical experience;
- Criminal History/Background Check clearance (paperwork needed to run check included with GNM application form). A check will also be run to see if your name appears on a list published in the Federal Register of persons excluded from participation in federally-funded healthcare programs;
- Permission of GNM coordinator; and
- Availability of space in selected course.
Petitions will be considered for applicants not meeting the above criteria and should include information to support the capability for graduate study, such as recent graded coursework, GRE scores, resume, and letters of reference.
1. Complete the UW Graduate School GNM application. http://www.outreach.washington.edu/nondegree/register/steps_gnm.asp (The Graduate School no longer accepts applications offline. You must complete the online application, and a fee of $75 is required with submission as of January 1, 2013.)
2. Request official college transcripts. TWO transcripts from any college or university that has granted you a Bachelors degree or higher and ONE set of transcripts from each post-secondary school, college or university that you have attended must be submitted with your application.
3. Goal Statement. Include information about the courses you are interested in taking and how long you plan to continue in this status. Please note that the GNM goal statement is different from the one submitted with the Master of Nursing program application.
4. GNM application, goal statement, and fee are collected online. Official transcripts, completed Criminal History Background Check paperwork directly to
GNM Nursing Admissions
University of Washington Bothell
18115 Campus Way NE, Box 358532
Bothell, WA 98011 - 8246
Notification, Registration and Requirements
Applicants will be notified of the admissions decision by the UW Bothell Nursing Department. In order to continue in a GNM status, students must maintain the standard minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0. Failure to do so for two consecutive quarters will result in an automatic transfer to a non-matriculated status. To regain GNM status you will have to apply again.
Since registration is done on a space available basis all Bothell Nursing GNM students will work with the Graduate program advisor to register for class. Registration will take place during the third registration period.