Application Instructions

Applicants MUST submit all application materials electronically by the following deadlines to be considered for admission. Please read through the following application instructions prior to beginning your application.

Autumn Winter

June 15 (International Applicants)

July 20 (Domestic Applicants)

September 5 (International Applicants)

October 12 (Domestic Applicants)

Please complete all components of the application as follows:

1. Application & Paid Fee

Fill out the Graduate School application and pay the application fee. Applications must be completed online.

To Start an Application
  • Create an applicant profile or log in to an existing applicant profile
  • Create a new application
  • Select your application type (choose from the drop down list: Graduate)
  • Select "Engineering and Mathematics - (Master of Science in Electrical Engineering) - Bothell" from the drop-down list of graduate programs
  • Complete application as directed

2. Official Transcripts

All official transcripts from prior college level academic work (including community and technical colleges and universities) must be uploaded to the Graduate School website as part of the application. Obtain an official e-transcript from the school, or scan the official transcript into a PDF and upload it to the application website. Scanned images must be of official transcripts issued by the school; unofficial handwritten or retyped transcripts are not accepted. Applicants may be requested to provide additional documentation.

Applicants with degrees from outside the United States must upload detailed attested mark sheets and degree statements showing degree earned. All documents must be in English, and be the official translation from the institution in which the degree(s) was earned.

Official transcripts are not required if an applicant’s degree was earned at the University of Washington. Instead, applicants with degrees earned form the University of Washington should upload a PDF copy of their unofficial transcript available from MyUW.

Once admitted, students will be required to submit an official transcript or attested mark sheet and degree statement to the UW Graduate Enrollment Management Services for degree verification. Official transcripts or mark sheets and degree statements must be sent directly from the granting institution to the University of Washington Graduate Enrollment Management Office. Please see below for mailing address:

Graduate Enrollment Management Services
University of Washington
Box 353770
Seattle, WA  98195-3770 USA

3. Statement of Purpose

Please limit your response to the following statement to a maximum of 1000 words:

Describe why the Master of Science in Electrical Engineering is of interest to you and how it will support your scholarly and career goals.

4. Current Resume or Academic CV

Showing relevant work experience or coursework in detail, including any and all information relevant to admission prerequisites.

5. Letters of Recommendation

A minimum of two recommendations is required, however three are strongly recommended. Each recommender will automatically receive an e-mail with instructions on how to submit their letter of recommendation. Professional references may be substituted for academic ones if academic recommenders are unavailable.

6. English Language Proficiency

Proficiency in English is required for graduate study at the University of Washington. Therefore, every applicant whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency. Proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following five ways:

  1. A bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States where English is the medium of instruction.
  2. A bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from an institution in Australia, the Bahamas, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Singapore, Trinidad and Tobago, or the United Kingdom. While enrolled at the degree-granting school, the student must be in residence on campus.
  3. Official documentation from the applicant’s undergraduate degree-granting institution (if the institution is in a country other than those listed in #2 above) verifying that all instruction is in English. A minimum of three years of enrollment at the undergraduate institution is required. Documentation must be presented to the Graduate School; credential service reports are not acceptable. Acceptable documentation must be one of the following:
    • Official or attested letter from the undergraduate college, University Registrar, or Controller of Examinations office.
    • Oficial transcripts, attested mark sheets, or degree statements are also accepted if English is stated as the medium of instruction.
  4. An official letter stating successful completion of the UW Intensive English Program (IEP): University Track. The letter must be submitted to the Graduate School.
  5. If none of the four above stated options pertain, the applicant must submit an official English language test score to the Graduate School (institution code: 4854) as follows:
    • 92 on the TOEFL iBT*
    • 580 on the TOEFL pBT (paper-based)*

*The School of STEM Graduate Programs specifically require the minimum TOEFL scores listed.

The UW Graduate School offers further information on English proficiency tests.


  • The institutional code for the University of Washington is 4854.
  • Report all post-secondary schools you have attended, even if you did not earn a degree.
  • The Graduate School provides Admission FAQs.

Additional Information for International Applicants

International applicants are those who currently hold or expect temporary United States Visas, including holders of H1-B, H-4 or any other non-immigrant classifications. U.S. permanent residents (Green Card holders or immigrants) are NOT considered international applicants.

Students who are currently in the country on any type of Visa should contact the UW Bothell Center for International Education at for information on how to change their Visa status to F1, if desired.

International applicants are required to submit additional information. After submitting your application and paying your fee online, there will be a check list of additional requirements including the University of Washington Statement of Financial Ability form. All completed materials are sent to the Graduate School. For questions on these materials, visit International Applicant Information or e-mail the International Admission Advisor at the Graduate School.

Further information on applying to graduate programs at the University of Washington is details in Understanding the Application Process.