Graduate School requirements include a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and an overall grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 in the last 90 quarter (60 semester) credits. Applicants who do not meet the GPA requirement are encouraged to contact the IAS Graduate Office to discuss options for strengthening their application.
Register for an information session to learn about all aspects of the program and speak directly to a program representative. Sign up online.
- An application to the Graduate School and $75 application fee
- Two letters of recommendation, including at least one from a faculty member who can discuss your academic and writing abilities
- A Statement of Intent (2 - 3 pages, double-spaced) articulating your goals in pursuing an MFA in Creative Writing & Poetics. Please address how this program’s emphasis on poetics is a valuable mode of study for you and your creative work.
- A writing sample (no more than ten pages of poetry; twenty pages of prose; or twenty pages total of a multi-genre submission.)
- [Optional] Samples of Multi-Media or Multi-Art Work
- Unofficial transcripts from all prior academic work (college, university, technical school, etc.)
Note: The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is not required in this application.
Quarterly tuition for the continuing 2012 cohort for full-time students is $5,500. Quarterly tuition for the incoming 2013 cohort for full-time students is $5,700. Tuition does not including Technology Fee, Services & Activities Fee, and Registration Fee. Tuition may increase for future cohorts. Details will be posted when available.
As a fee-based degree, this program does not qualify for the Washington State Tuition Exemption Program or any other tuition reduction benefit.