M.Ed. Completion Dossier Application Product Options
1. Definition of this Option
The secondary and middle level reflective practice portfolio option provides documentation of competencies gained through the Secondary and Middle Level Teacher Certification M.Ed. Program and deepens knowledge of reflective practice. The process of creating this reflective practice portfolio is intended to (1) extend knowledge and inform future analysis of student learning and (2) strengthen curriculum, instruction, and assessment by emphasizing analysis of professional practice, identity, and ethics, and (3) plan for continual development as a teacher.
The secondary and middle level reflective practice portfolio option involves a four-part process:
- Completion of all coursework in the Secondary and Middle Level Teacher Certification M.Ed. Program prior to enrolling in BEDUC 595 Professional Portfolio (3 or 5 credit option, revised section designated as Reflective Practice)
- Expansion of the certification portfolio reflective components completed during student teaching
- Expanding understanding of critical reflection and how it connects to student learning.
- Reflection on plans for continual professional development, encompassing Washington State required guidelines for new teachers and providing carefully thought-out goals and a course of action for achieving the goals
The secondary and middle level reflective practice portfolio builds on work completed throughout the program and is finalized in a single course focused on critical, reflective practice in the final quarter of the program: BEDUC 595 Professional Portfolio. This 3-5credit course will be offered once a year following the student teaching quarter in the Secondary and Middle Level Teacher Certification Program. (CR/NC).
2. Eligibility and Approval
UW Bothell students intending to pursue the secondary and middle level reflective practice portfolio option must have completed the UWB Secondary and Middle Level Teacher Certification Program. This option may only be pursued after the successful completion of BEDUC 565, Student Teaching. Prior to registering for BEDUC 595 Professional Portfolio students must discuss their plans with their academic advisors. Academic advisors will be the first readers of their Reflective Practice Portfolios, and the instructor of BEDUC 595 will be the second reader for the Master’s Completion Dossier for Secondary and Middle Level Teacher Certification Program students.
BEDUC 595, Professional Portfolio, will be offered each year during Spring quarter. The grade for the course (CR/NC) will be awarded upon the successful completion of the final draft of the secondary and middle level reflective practice portfolio. The portfolio needs to be submitted to the academic advisor two weeks before the end of the quarter in which the student expects to graduate.
4. Course Registration Requirements
UW Bothell students selecting this option must have completed all other requirements in the Secondary and Middle Level Teacher Certification M. Ed. Program.
5. Assessment of the Secondary and Middle Level Reflective Practice Portfolio as an Application Product
To use the secondary and middle level reflective practice portfolio as the application product in the M.Ed. Completion Dossier, each student will submit a completed portfolio that has been approved by both readers to the Education Program Office at the end of the quarter in which the student plans to graduate. Assessment of this option will be consistent with Washington State standards for initial certification at the secondary and middle level, in-depth reflection on practice, and a current professional development plan. Two readers will assess the full Completion Dossier using the prescribed rubric.
Incorporates Faculty Decisions through 3/3/11