The program generally begins with three core courses. These courses focus on:
- Examination of research methodologies and the generation of research questions.
- The use of multicultural education as a theoretical foundation for examining the ways in which students' biographical journeys, values, and beliefs influence the questions they raise and the framing of those questions.
- Organizational change and school reform as well as the responsibilities of professional leadership related to educational change.
Individual Program Of Study
In addition to the core courses, you may choose elective courses under the guidance of your faculty advisor. These may be selected from M.Ed. courses, or you may elect to take appropriate courses in other academic programs such as the UW Bothell Master of Arts in Policy Studies. Up to twelve credits of graduate-level coursework may be taken at the University of Washington Seattle.
(Required for students starting Autumn 2009 and later.)
Completion Dossier The M.Ed. Completion Dossier provides an opportunity for candidates to demonstrate comprehensive knowledge, skills and dispositions associated with the program's overall goals for academic learning and improvement of professional practice in education. The Completion Dossier ensures breadth of academic work and application of knowledge in each candidate's work toward the M.Ed. degree, guided by the Education Program's goals for the degree
Content of Completion Dossier
1. An introduction to the Completion Dossier, in which the student describes how four academic products and one application product to be presented in the dossier, taken as a whole, meet the Education Program's learning goals as these are elaborated in the rubric for Completion Dossiers.
2. Four substantive academic products, normally developed in conjunction with four different graduate courses.
3. One of the following products that demonstrate application of knowledge in the student's practice:
A.) Practitioner-Focused Research Paper
B.) Critical Literature Review
C.) Curriculum Development Project
D.) National Board Portfolio Draft
E.) Secondary and Middle Level Reflective Practice Portfolio (Middle and Secondary Certification M.Ed. Students Only)
4. A written reflection.
If you have questions or need pre-admissions advising contact:
Education Program Advisor