Course Modules allow instructors to set the structural organization of their Canvas course. Modules are set up to group together content that the instructor would like the students to view together.
Why Use Modules?
- Design prerequisite activities or content that students must complete before moving to the next course section.
- Organize course content by week, day, unit, etc. This way, students will better understand what's expected from them and where they will be at a specific point in the course.
- Assess students more frequently by tracking their progress with regular activities or reflections.
Setting Up Modules
- To set up a module, click the Modules tab from the course menu on the left side of the page.
- In the upper right corner of that page next to View Progress, click the Create a Module button.
- In the window that appears, give your module a name.
- If you choose to lock module until a given date, the module will become available to students at the specified date.
- If you choose students must move through requirements, students must complete the content sequentially in the module before moving on in the course.
- Click Add Module to create the module.
- To add content, edit, or delete your module, click on the gear icon found in the top-right portion of the module. To add content to the module, click on Add Content.
- A window will pop up, prompting you to pick an already-existing item from your course. You can add assignments, quizzes, files, content pages, discussions, text headers, external URLs and external tools to your modules.
- If you would like create a new item, simply choose New Assignment (Quiz, File, whichever you are working with) and submit it.
- Click the Add Item button for every item you select to add it to your module.
- Once you have added your items, they will appear under the module you assigned them to.
- Modules will become public to students when you have assigned them to.