Since the UW is making the transition to Canvas, we highly recommend using Canvas' Course Import Tool to transfer all of your course materials from Blackboard to Canvas.
Because there are differences in the way Blackboard and Canvas courses are organized, as well as the tools they offer, here's What to Expect when importing your course and how features translate from Blackboard to Canvas.
Exporting a Blackboard Course
- Log into Blackboard (bb.uwb.edu) and go to the course you wish to export.
- From the Control Panel, click on Packages and Utilities, then Export/Archive Course.
- At the top of the next page, click on Export Package.
- On the Export Course page, under 3. Select Course Materials, click on Select All then Submit to export all of the course's content.
- At the top of the Export/Archive Course page, a notification will appear: "Success: this action has been queued. An email will be sent when the process is complete".
- Once complete, the exported course will appear in the main area of the Export/Archive Course page. Click on the file name to download it and save it to the desktop so it's easy to locate.
- Once the file is saved to your computer, you are ready to import it into Canvas.
Go back to top
Importing a Blackboard Course into Canvas
- Log into Canvas (canvas.uw.edu) and select the course you wish to import content into.
- From the course page, choose Settings
- Select Import Content into this Course (right side of page) then Import content from a content package or from another system.
- After being redirected to the new page:
- Select Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export .zip file from the drop-down menu,
- Click on Choose File to find the .zip file on your computer,
- Click on Import Course when ready.
- An email will be sent to you when importing has completed.
- To finish the import process, log back into your Canvas course, go back to Settings > Import Content into this Course > Import content from a content package or from another system and click the View migrations link above the drop-down menu.
- Your recently imported file will appear under Migrations Needing Action.
- Click on Click here to choose content to import.
- At the top of the list, select Copy Everything and then click Import Course Content when you are ready to import. A status bar will appear showing the progress of your course's import.
- You will receive a notification of success once your course has been fully imported. The content should appear within your course immediately upon completion.
Go back to top