Instructors can include assignments that have been completed outside of Canvas to their gradebook, contributing them to overall student grades. In order to do this, instructors must manually create and grade an assignment.
Adding an Assignment
- To quickly add an assignment to the grade book, click on the Assignments tab in the course menu on the left side of the screen.
- Click the link to the far right of the page reading Add Assignment.
- You will be prompted to give your assignment a name, due date and point value. When you have done this, click Update to create the assignment.
- If you would like a more advanced tutorial on assignment creation, please visit our Canvas assignments page.
Grading an Assignment
- To manually grade the assignment, go to the gradebook located in the left-hand course menu under Grades.
- Once you are in the gradebook, find the column under the assignment you would like to grade.
- To grade assignments one at a time (student by student), simply click the students' corresponding box under the assignment, enter the grade, and press enter to submit. You can add a comment to the student's grade by clicking the icon in the upper right corner of the grade box.
- To use SpeedGrader for the assignment, click the down-facing arrow next to the assignment's name at the top of the menu. This will take you to SpeedGrader, where you can quickly grade all students' work. For more information about using SpeedGrader, please visit the Learning Technologies tutorial page for it.
- Once you have finished adding and grading the assignment, it will factor into the students' overall grades.
- You can also view more grading options and helpful tools by clicking on the gear icon, which is situated above the Student Name column.