The Assignments Section in Canvas allows instructors create and manage all homework assignments for their course on a single page. Any assignment you create will automatically show up in the enrolled students' Calendar, Grades, and Syllabus pages.
- To access the Assignments Section for your course, click on the Assignments Tab on the left navigation panel of your course page.
- The Assignments Section will appear with something like this:
- To create assignments and categorize them for varied weights and ease of access, start by first clicking the + Group button at the top.
- If the Weight the final grade based on assignment groups setting has been checked off, then a % of total grade section will be available for input.
- After you have created an assignment group, you may create an assignment by clicking the button.
- Once you have chosen to add an assignment, the following form will appear. From the dropdown menu, you will be able to select the Assignment Type.
- Clicking on More options will redirect you to a new page where you can edit specific assignment details, such as the description, specific grading deadlines, and more. (See Editing/Removing an Assignment section below for details.)
- Next click on Save (or Update Assignment on the More options page), to save the assignment.
- Finally, click Publish once you are sure your assignment is ready to be posted for the students to see. Note: An assignment can be unpublished as long as no students have completed the assignment.
Upon entering the Assignments Section, you will be able to view the course assignment groups in a layout similar to the one in the screenshot below.
- Click and hold the assignment to organize the order of assignments as they appear on another course member's screen.
- Clicking on the assignment title will redirect you to the assignment's details page. From there, you will be able to edit specific assignment details.
- Clicking on the gear icon will display a list of options to choose from for that assignment including Edit, Delete, and Move To...
- To allow students to submit assignments through Canvas you will need to change the submission type for the assignment.
- First bring up the edit screen for the assignment, on this screen click on Show Advanced Options below the assignment group drop down menu.
- Next, select Online from the submission type menu.
- This will cause more check boxes to be displayed allowing you to choose how the students will submit the assignment online.
- Select Allow File Uploads which will bring up another check box which will allow you to restrict the types of files students can upload.
- Restricting the file type can help standardize the files that are submitted for the assignment, and prevent unusual file types.