This section of the Blackboard Tutorial for Faculty will focus on testing tools, specifically Tests, Surveys, and Pools. Testing tools can be used for graded assignments, gathering class information, or for any other purpose you see fit.
- Tests are assignments which are graded in order to measure student progress. Most types of questions are automatically graded (multiple choice, matching questions), while others need to be graded by the instructor (short answer, essay).
- Surveys are not graded, but are used to gather information or measure student progress.
- Pools are question sets which can be created and re-used in multiple tests and surveys.
Creating and Using Pools
- Pools of questions can be created by going to Control Panel > Course Tools > Tests, Surveys and Pools > Pools. Click the Build Pool button to build a new question pool.
- Give the pool a Name, Description and Instructions and click Submit.
- Now that your pool has been created, you may begin adding questions.
- Once you have created your pool, Blackboard will redirect you to the main page for your new pool. Alternatively, you may access this page at any time by going to Pools > pool name, then clicking the chevron icon next to your pool and select Edit.
- Hover your mouse over the Create Question button at the top of the page. From the menu that pops up, choose the type of question you would like to create for your pool by clicking on it.
- As you would in a test question, fill out all required fields for your question (question, correct answer instructor notes, etc.) When you have finished, click Submit.
- You will notice that the questions you create will begin showing up on your main pool page. If you are looking for a specific question and cannot find it, simply search for it in the Search current results bar.
- When you have finished editing the questions in your pool, click OK in the lower right corner.
Now, whenever building a test, you may choose from the questions you have just created. From the Test Canvas, hover your mouse over Reuse Question and select Find Questions.
Once you have clicked on Find Questions, a pop-up menu should* appear. Select questions you would like to reuse by checking the boxes to the left of their names. When you have selected all of the questions you would like to include, click Submit.
*= Note: In order for the menu to appear, please make sure all pop-up blockers are either disabled or will allow pop-ups from the Blackboard site.