Only an instructor can modify a user's role. Follow this procedure to change the role of any user who is enrolled in your course (see the Enrolling Users page for enrolling instructions):
- Go to Control Panel > Users and Groups > Users.
- Click on the Options Menu button that corresponds with the student you want to modify (to the right of the student's name).
- Click Change User's Role in Course.
- Assign a new role to the user by clicking the bubble for their role, then clicking Submit. You will be redirected to your updated User page.
Having trouble picking roles?
Here are brief descriptions of each role, referenced from Blackboard's Tip Sheet on Course Roles (PDF):
- Instructors have complete access to a course's Control Panel and can access the course even if it is unavailable to students.
- Students do not have access to a course's Control Panel. This is also the default role for newly enrolled users.
- Teaching Assistants have access to nearly everything in the Control Panel and can use the Digital Drop Box to exchange files with students. Unlike Instructors, they are not listed in the Course Catalog and cannot remove an Instructor from a course.
- Course Builders have access to most areas of the Control Panel. Unlike Instructors, they cannot access Assessment sections, Course Statistics, some User Management functions, and may not remove an Instructor from a course. Additionally, course builders do not have access to student functions (submitting work, etc.). If you would like a student to also be a course builder, have them create a new Blackboard account and use a different one for each role.
- Graders have access only to the Assessment section in the Control Panel. A Grader may help in the administration of online assessments, grading of assignments, and maintenance of the grade book, but cannot access a course that is unavailable or send files to students through the Digital Drop Box.
- Guest access has been disabled for the entire UWB Blackboard system, so this role is not available.