Blackboard for Faculty
Issues and Tips
- It is recommended to record the chat text for each session to prevent loss of information.
- Additionally, you can take snapshots of the Whiteboard when recording. Students can later view and download them as images from the recordings section.
- The Question Inbox is not private.
- To return to Whiteboard from Group Browser, click on Whiteboard and then on the display button.
- When opening chat for the first time, you may be asked to download a Java plug-in. This download should be automatic, but if you run into problems, contact Information Systems for assistance.
- Make sure you enable pop-ups or the Virtual Classroom may not work or might lack some its features.
- Apple Mac users must have OS X to use the Virtual Classroom.
Tips on Using Chat
- Poor typing skills can hinder participation.
- Chat is not face-to-face conversation, so expect long pauses and disjointed conversations especially for groups larger than 4. Also, larger groups can lead to multiple simultaneous conversations.
- For groups larger than 3 or 4, assign roles: facilitator, greeter, monitor, recorder.